South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well yes, that was the answer I was driving at. There is no compelling reason it HAS to have a special bus link to a tram network.

I dont disagree but someone on this thread is demanding legislation is changed to ensure this happens ffs.

The area already has a bus link to the tram network and by extension a service to Sheffield. It is the number 57. The fact it is hourly is neither here nor there, to be honest I have no idea if this would be sufficient to meet demand or not.

You have 'invented' "... someone on this thread is demanding legislation...".

I do not think Stocksbridge is a special case. 

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Guest busdriver1

Well we have some hot heads don't we. 

First. There is no contract for the tramlink buses. They are a commercial operation. The service 57 suffered greatly as a consequence so first pulled off it in a case of you want it - have it. 

Next. There are provisions to register a service that runs as a connection to await the connection within reason. 

Finally. The next operator of the trams will be sypte themselves so they can get funding for new trams. 

(then probably try to get the cost written off). 

16 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Well we have some hot heads don't we. 

First. There is no contract for the tramlink buses. They are a commercial operation. The service 57 suffered greatly as a consequence so first pulled off it in a case of you want it - have it. 

Next. There are provisions to register a service that runs as a connection to await the connection within reason. 

Finally. The next operator of the trams will be sypte themselves so they can get funding for new trams. 

(then probably try to get the cost written off). 

There has been no mention of a current bus contract by anybody on this thread.

Turner & Townsend and Anturas will be advising SYPTE(the owner) over the next seven years on the Sheffield Supertram improvements. They will also be advising SYPTE on the future management and operation of the system as well as its integration with other public transport.

As SYPTE do not operate any transport services directly they have currently no capacity to operate Supertram. 

Why has a thread bout the Supertram link been merged into a thread about South Yorkshire busses ? The fact it is a bus is of less significance than the fact it is, er, part of the Supertram service.

TBH I am not really that interested in bus services in the rest of South Yorkshire and reading a load of posts about that, but I am very interested in the Supertram link.

Quite apart from anything else if the thread was going to be merged with any thing it should have been into a Supertram thread, not a bus thread.

TBH this is where "Thread merging mania" is just counter productive, it makes no sense. I have never known any other forum that is so keen on merging threads, why do they do it ?

Edited by Chekhov

Guest busdriver1
6 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

There has been no mention of a current bus contract by anybody on this thread.

Yes there has, read through it and see.

6 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

As SYPTE do not operate any transport services directly they have currently no capacity to operate Supertram. 

So why did they say thats what they intended to do then? More lies?

24 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Yes there has, read through it and see.

Not wanting to take your advice on reading many pages to verify your claim I used the Search facility.

In the thread about the Link buses(now merge with this one) a search for the word 'contract' did not show any association with any current bus operation. 

A search of the combined threads reveals only one mention of 'contract' and Link buses - a year ago, and it refers to supported Sunday services.

How did you manage to 'see'?

25 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

So why did they say thats what they intended to do then? More lies?

What have "...lies..." got to do with the owner of Supertram bringing in Turner & Townsend and Anturas to advise them on how to manage, operate and renew their asset post 2024?

SYPTE have already said they want to establish an arm’s length organisation to operate the services and maintain the network and fleet during renewal. Separately SYPTE would run the renewal project.

The nature of the 'arm’s length organisation' operating the trams has still to be decided.

8 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Why has a thread about a bus route been moved into a bus megathread about buses?

Hmm. Might have to sleep on that one.

It is more about the tram than busses. It's  Supertram link, everyone on the SL1 gets on the tram.

I have never been a fan of "Mega threads" (why make people trawl through loads of posts they are not interested in to get to ones they are) but in this case it is even more illogical.