South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

On 25/10/2022 at 10:22, Andy C said:

£2 maximum single fare on buses and trams within South Yorkshire from 1 November, subsidised by the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority (SYMCA).

No changes to any other tickets including the range of unlimited travel passes.

https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/news/429002ad-175a-4252-b31c-b74afd02f87d

Assuming the scheme isn't extended at the end of March then are we going to see another exodus of drivers that have had enough of the abuse when it goes back to full fare?

Are we going to see O-LIE-ver Copp-out announcing that the fare cap is great and suggests that it's proof the companies can run these lower fares, failing to mention the taxpayer's contributions, to further his own agenda? 

Couldn’t help notice getting on. First bus today an advertisement for a Flexible two trip ticket for £4.40 and it was also on every other first bus I noticed.

over 3 weeks since the £2 single ticket was announced one might have thought First would have thought to update the advertising after all to do so would be cheap and easy

18 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

Couldn’t help notice getting on. First bus today an advertisement for a Flexible two trip ticket for £4.40 and it was also on every other first bus I noticed.

over 3 weeks since the £2 single ticket was announced one might have thought First would have thought to update the advertising after all to do so would be cheap and easy

Custom print vinyls aren't cheap. 

Once they're printed they then have to be fitted which means removing the old and fitting the new. 

That requires probably 30mins at least per vehicle. 

Then reprinting the originals and switching them back. 

For a temporary situation it's a cost that doesn't need to be spent. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Resident said:

Custom print vinyls aren't cheap. 

Once they're printed they then have to be fitted which means removing the old and fitting the new. 

That requires probably 30mins at least per vehicle. 

Then reprinting the originals and switching them back. 

For a temporary situation it's a cost that doesn't need to be spent. 

To be honest i did not look to see if they were vinyl thought they were paper pasted on to window

• 3 weeks later...
Guest busdriver1

I am in shock! 

just been cold called by an agency offering bus driving work in Sheffield for £19 per hour and £24 at night and weekends !

Bit of a problem though, I gave up my PCV years ago and, its to work for Stagecoach who are looking like they have over stretched themselves when they took on all the work SYPTE / SYMCA asked them to. 

Told them my starting price for Stagecoach is £50 and that does not include my Sheffield weighting of 25%. They may call me back 🙂 ( I doubt it though)

If anyone is interested in the number of the agency send me a message through here, not gonna post it to prevent them being spammed.

Stagecoach website offering £11.70 PH then £12.60 after 8 pm and £17.40 on Sundays' with a welcome bonus of £1200 for qualified drivers ( with strings).

Edited by busdriver1

7 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

I am in shock! 

just been cold called by an agency offering bus driving work in Sheffield for £19 per hour and £24 at night and weekends !

Bit of a problem though, I gave up my PCV years ago and, its to work for Stagecoach who are looking like they have over stretched themselves when they took on all the work SYPTE / SYMCA asked them to. 

Told them my starting price for Stagecoach is £50 and that does not include my Sheffield weighting of 25%. They may call me back 🙂 ( I doubt it though)

If anyone is interested in the number of the agency send me a message through here, not gonna post it to prevent them being spammed.

Stagecoach website offering £11.70 PH then £12.60 after 8 pm and £17.40 on Sundays' with a welcome bonus of £1200 for qualified drivers ( with strings).

Similar figures were offered for agency workers for First last year. Quite rightly a lot of their drivers found alternative employment because the management didn't want to give a decent pay-rise