South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

Once again I find myself circling back to a point I made long ago.

If bus services are to improve then part of that improvement needs to be better passengers. 

Yesterday I observed an OAP berating a driver and threatening to "report him to the traffic commissioner for not following the correct route", shouting that she wanted to go to a specific shop, one which closed down 3 months ago. 

The driver had indeed ventured off route due to a diversion put in place because of a road closure. This diversion was advertised on the front of the bus via the destination display.  The driver did his upmost to keep his cool and professionalism whilst trying to explain to Grandma Karen that he was unable to drive down a closed road. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Resident said:

If bus services are to improve then part of that improvement needs to be better passengers. 

Yesterday I observed an OAP berating a driver and threatening to "report him to the traffic commissioner for not following the correct route", shouting that she wanted to go to a specific shop, one which closed down 3 months ago. 

The driver had indeed ventured off route due to a diversion put in place because of a road closure. This diversion was advertised on the front of the bus via the destination display.  The driver did his upmost to keep his cool and professionalism whilst trying to explain to Grandma Karen that he was unable to drive down a closed road. 

No, no, no - you know the passenger is always correct, even when they are demonstrably totally wrong!😉

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
23 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

£2 bus fares will continue until the end of June

seperate issue but yes that is correct, if there are any buses to buy them on that is 

On 17/02/2023 at 14:10, Resident said:

I do agree that passengers should be well behaved but I find it hard to believe this story.

When things as silly as that happen, and that must be very rarely,  it's usually the case that the person has mental problems of some kind.

It's easy to roll out stories such as this without the burden of proof so I tend to, " no never"  to myself and am not swayed.

49 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I do agree that passengers should be well behaved but I find it hard to believe this story.

When things as silly as that happen, and that must be very rarely,  it's usually the case that the person has mental problems of some kind.

It's easy to roll out stories such as this without the burden of proof so I tend to, " no never"  to myself and am not swayed.

First-hand witness. 

51 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I don't know how often you you use buses these days, but I'm a  regular user, and see similar on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Sad to say this is VERY common. 

One of the reasons   why I left the job. 

Just moved past Loxley,  was looking fwd to getting 52 into town, now i hear it doesn't exist, only a shuttle service that operates a 7pm curfew, comes very rarely, and not on Sundays, there are lots of disabled people up here, plus elderly, and i am hearing of people trying to get to Hillsborough to shop, etc(local express one are really expensive), struggling as they go, what more will people tolerate, though I am aware there have been angry meetings..