South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

1 minute ago, XPertByExperien said:

And about 4 years ago they did the "Tram Train" to the Parkgate Retail Park, via Meadowhall and Rotherham Central Train station.

None of which goes on public roads from Meadowhall to Sheffield, I suspect the original plan for the extension would have taken it on streets.  A little different.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

None of which goes on public roads from Meadowhall to Sheffield, I suspect the original plan for the extension would have taken it on streets.  A little different.

The 'Tram-train' was/is an experiment to check the viability of light-rail to run on the Network Rail infrastructure, so wouldn't have gone on roads.

16 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

And about 4 years ago they did the "Tram Train" to the Parkgate Retail Park, via Meadowhall and Rotherham Central Train station.

Yes, the one I mentioned was much earlier. It was proposed to go to Hellaby. Details here

There were also proposals to go to Dore as well as one to the Hallamshire, Hospital, Broomhill and Ranmoor ( including where the Student Village is now). There was quite a bit of public opposition. The PTE eventually went to government with a proposal to go up to the Hallamshire Hospital but were refused. 

12 hours ago, Resident said:

Police often sit a traffic unit up on Wood Lane. I've witnessed them catch a fair few contravening the No Entry, including taxis. The issue with opening it now though is that it's not really suitable for HGVs and that's exactly who will use it which will become a danger when they're emerging onto New Brinny road, which is currently an NSL

Its the residents of Brinsworth that would use it as they already do, i think ive only seen 1 or 2 police units up there if ive driven past or used it. The road it comes onto is a NSL agreed which goes into a 30 zone 100 metres later. 

I dont think HGV can get through the entry point can they? I know buses can but not sure on HGV's. 

6 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Yes, the one I mentioned was much earlier. It was proposed to go to Hellaby. Details here

There were also proposals to go to Dore as well as one to the Hallamshire, Hospital, Broomhill and Ranmoor ( including where the Student Village is now). There was quite a bit of public opposition. The PTE eventually went to government with a proposal to go up to the Hallamshire Hospital but were refused. 

Given that up to what will be 8 years in August ago, I worked at the Lifewise Centre on the Hellaby industrial estate, back then that would've solved a considerable amount of problems.

Especially when social flippin' services cut the funding for the Taxi that used to take me there and back so I had to quit the job! :rant: 

The Wood Lane area's a pain anyway because of the "speed bumps" around Forge Valley and Shooters Grove schools, I know they're to protect the school kids but they don't exactly help the drivers' cars.

Edited by XPertByExperien
Typos and general formatting

42 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Government funding would be an excellent use of money to extend the Superetram routes especially to the main hospitals.

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, XPertByExperien said:

Not really wanted and that is reflected in the loadings. There are already numerous ways of making the journey and are rarely full even in the rush hour.

4 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Its the residents of Brinsworth that would use it as they already do, i think ive only seen 1 or 2 police units up there if ive driven past or used it. The road it comes onto is a NSL agreed which goes into a 30 zone 100 metres later. 

I dont think HGV can get through the entry point can they? I know buses can but not sure on HGV's. 

No problem getting an HGV through there. Same width as a bus and only a little longer but having the advantage of bending in the middle. No problem at all.

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

The 'Tram-train' was/is an experiment to check the viability of light-rail to run on the Network Rail infrastructure, so wouldn't have gone on roads.

Indeed, it may have proved that with different wheel sets they can go anywhere. The only spin off from this is for one that uses Heavy rail type track all the way and has no need for different wheelsets. 

So what can we claim to have learned from this?