South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

5 hours ago, XPertByExperien said:

Especially when social flippin' services cut the funding for the Taxi that used to take me there and back so I had to quit the job! :rant: 

Were you incapable of catching a bus? 

X1/X10 run regularly from Sheffield to Maltby via Hellaby

5 hours ago, XPertByExperien said:

The Wood Lane area's a pain anyway because of the "speed bumps" around Forge Valley and Shooters Grove schools, I know they're to protect the school kids but they don't exactly help the drivers' cars.

I drive a lowered sports car. I have no issues with those speed humps.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 07:31, busdriver1 said:

Having a meeting is all well and good but who are they going to complain to?

The current support being offered to Bus companies is conditional on them being able to operate 95% of  all their declared services daily that were being run at that time. 

First took the decision that because of the nationwide bus driver shortage that is worse in South Yorkshire than most areas, they could not make that commitment as failure to run the services would likely see them called before the traffic commissioners and fined or possibly have their operating  licence restricted.

This has left some areas without services and due notice was given to SYMCA that this was happening.

SYMCA have a duty to fill gaps left by commercial operators but are unable to find operators who are prepared to work with them.

There are 2 reasons why this is not happening. 1) most sensible operators are aware that the driver shortage will not go away just because a different company is looking for staff. 2) the remainder have worked for SYPTE / SYMCA in the past and no longer wish to do so.

Currently First are running their entire network without the bus service recovery grant and are unique in the area for this. 

Companies that are receiving the grant are struggling to cover services and are in danger of facing  sanctions if this continues.

The fact that it appears that the grant could be discontinued means those operators will face the same choices that First did and may well have to drastically reduce their route network as a result.

Thanks for this detailed reply

On 20/02/2023 at 15:13, RollingJ said:

You keep going on about 'the money' and these great political players. As I have said before, politics cannot solve the problem just by throwing money around - you have to get everyone involved - yes, including local councils - but the problem is that, from what I have seen in the Yorkshire region especially, politicians see themselves as the sole arbiters, and are reluctant (incapable?) of involving the concerns/operators who actually have to provide the reality.

In the area where I have seen very well patronised public transport, the councils/operators have worked well together - without the need for a PTE or suchlike. They actually have constructive debate, and reach a position where the 'political' needs are balanced with operational reality.

I just tried to contact the Regional Mayors Office about the issue with buses, there is no actual number to ring, only email, but many disabled need to speak to someone, under the DDA they are entitled to, so much for democracy.

2 minutes ago, SCM1 said:

I just tried to contact the Regional Mayors Office about the issue with buses, there is no actual number to ring, only email, but many disabled need to speak to someone, under the DDA they are entitled to, so much for democracy.

Send an email direct to Oliver Coppard (the 'mayor') - if you can find an email address for him, that is.

TX, but i want to speak to him, i speak to directors of social care, housing, comittee chairs, etc, its a democratic deficit, imo

not being pompous or anything, just gets resuklts this way

my main issue is there is no proper buses service now Wisewood onwards, and the only one finishes at 7pm, so basically a curfew.

1 minute ago, SCM1 said:

TX, but i want to speak to him, i speak to directors of social care, housing, comittee chairs, etc, its a democratic deficit, imo

not being pompous or anything, just gets resuklts this way

my main issue is there is no proper buses service now Wisewood onwards, and the only one finishes at 7pm, so basically a curfew.

Unfortunately, he, like his predecessor, Dan Jarvis, is unreachable by us mere mortals. As I said, try emailing him first, asking for a direct communication.

20 minutes ago, SCM1 said:

Thanks for this detailed reply

Meh, I've been saying for most of the last 13 years that the Equality Act 2010 ain't worth the paper it's printed on because the government don't, and probably never will, enforce it.

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Are disabled people not able to send emails then? Strange.

Some can't actually, especially if they're Paraplegic and don't have certain limbs.

But of course you read the DM and think all disabled people should've been discombobulated at birth! :rant: :loopy: 

• Like 1

Just now, XPertByExperien said:

Some can't actually, especially if they're Paraplegic and don't have certain limbs.

I once knew someone who had no arms. She typed with her feet.

I also know a blind person. He "types" emails by using voice recognition software. 

Where there are problems, there are solutions.

• Like 1