South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Can i pay with a stoat? i dont believe in paying by goat?

Go away, you will be trying to pay with metal discs next. 

22 hours ago, sheffbag said:

So whats your thoughts on period passes that arent cash? Should people carry the money around to buy them on bus and go back to the days about 10 years ago of drivers on a Monday getting delayed because people want weekly tickets and they had to do the sealed ticket for them holding up other users. then you have the risk of a driver carrying well over £1000 in cash on a bus very easily and at a robbery risk?

Period passes as you call them, also known as First Day, First Week etc, are still available. Buses have dwell times at selected bus stops to allow for things such as this. I have never heard of a bus in Sheffield being robbed. The cameras, panic alarms and anti assault screens make them safer than ever. £7.50 won't be too hard to count out, a £5 note, a £2 coin and a 50 pence. It's standard retail skills.

its called the modern world. People want to pay electronically. Let me guess, when you go on holiday you go down to the travel agent with your brown bag full of £5 notes and chuck that over the desk?

Or you have never bought anything online

Remind me again, how are you paying for you internet connection to come on here? 

Or your tv licence and/or streaming services?

Or your gas / electric?

Or your travel costs if you have a car or motorbike or anywhere you go?

If any of those are by direct debit then they are linked to your card and the payment is made by that and is chargeable.

It's called a Bureau De Change and that is what I used to attain foreign tender when travelling abroad. Most of my holidays are in the UK. Have you tried using the toilets at the Interchange? Your card won't get you very far there. 😏

Yes, I do know what direct debits are and they are different to going in to a store and choosing to pay with a bank card. FYI, there are also PayPoint stores where you can pay in cash for TV Licence etc.

woudl have to go to a sales point with £131 in cash to buy a 28 day SY pass?

I believe this can be bought at the Interchange desk.

Considering old people get free travel, how do you propose that the travel is logged correctly so the operators can claim the reimbursment due for carrying them?

I never said anything about the way that is logged. When they scan, it's not a payment. There is no contact made with their bank. 

On 25/05/2023 at 18:16, Padders said:

So true Irene,

Now I watch a lot of you tube and saw this last week......

"The Macmaster" you tuber.

This guy was on a Ryan airplane.

He was sat next to an old lady, the cabin crew came round with the drinks trolley, and she ordered a cup of tea.

It was card only!!!

She had plenty of cash but no card, they refused to accept cash, THIS IS WRONG!

Fortunately the "Macmaster" very kindly paid for her cuppa....

It's disgusting, cash is printed and produced for a reason, to be used. Poor customer service from Ryan Air but that doesn't surprise me!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Period passes as you call them, also known as First Day, First Week etc, are still available. Buses have dwell times at selected bus stops to allow for things such as this. I have never heard of a bus in Sheffield being robbed. The cameras, panic alarms and anti assault screens make them safer than ever. £7.50 won't be too hard to count out, a £5 note, a £2 coin and a 50 pence. It's standard retail skills.

You have “never heard of a bus in Sheffield being robbed”. It happened to a driver out at Holmesfield. He had acid thrown in his face to relieve him of his takings.

21 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

You have “never heard of a bus in Sheffield being robbed”. It happened to a driver out at Holmesfield. He had acid thrown in his face to relieve him of his takings.

@Irene Swaineyou're making a bit of a Love Potion of yourself on this thread. Quit whilst you are losing or someone might take your Business Diploma off you

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Don't forget the driver that was stabbed in broad daylight on Arundel Gate for his cash bag. That happened in recent memory. 

That made national news feeds so I don't know how  ̷L̷o̷v̷e̷P̷o̷t̷i̷o̷n̷ Irene missed that

Just now, MJ01 said:

@Irene Swaineyou're making a bit of a Love Potion of yourself on this thread. Quit whilst you are losing or someone might take your Business Diploma off you

One and the same. 😉

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

buses have 'dwell times' to enable them to comply with the timetables, not to 'allow for things such as this'. The timing points operate every day, not just on Mondays, and have been operational ever since there has been scheduled services.

45 minutes ago, MJ01 said:

I sussed this was a 'Love Potion #2' almost on their first post - same lack of knowledge.

Edited by RollingJ

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

buses have 'dwell times' to enable them to comply with the timetables, not to 'allow for things such as this'. The timing points operate every day, not just on Mondays, and have been operational ever since there has been scheduled services.

I sussed this was a 'Love Potion #2' almost on their first post - same lack of knowledge.

To be fair to Irene, I actually find her very knowledgeable, maybe not always right but she puts up a dam good argument...

Always polite and never bickers, unlike some posters on the forum.

• Like 1