South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I used to get a £40 float, £5 seems awfully low, perhaps years ago it would have been adequate, but with inflation, they should increase it.

A smart bus driver will say, "See me when you get off"

He then somehow finds the correct change and the passenger alights minus a ticket...

Breakfast sorted!

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
10 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I used to get a £40 float, £5 seems awfully low, perhaps years ago it would have been adequate, but with inflation, they should increase it.

There is a good argument that it should not be increased and possibly done away with since so few people pay with cash and tying up the companies cash in this way is counter productive

8 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

How many people are buying a ticket to Meadowhall on their mobile phone apps and travelling all the way to Doncaster, only buying an "e-ticket" for the rest of the way if a revenue officer gets on? 

On the railway the 'revenue' can tell where and when you bought an e-ticket and therefore can pursue a Criminal fraud charge if someone does that. On the bus/tram I would assume they can do the same it would always be a Civil Law matter.

The move to contactless/pre-paid payments is inevitable as it saves time and money for businesses, safer and quicker for all.

Guest busdriver1
6 minutes ago, Padders said:

A smart bus driver will say, "See me when you get off"

He then somehow finds the correct change and the passenger alights minus a ticket...

Breakfast sorted!

used to happen years ago, a sensible driver would not consider it these days, particularly on First where they now have squads of Revenue protection inspectors randomly checking buses.

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

I was a catering stewardess on public transport. I worked remotely and managed a £40 float of cash. I can safely say cash payments were easier to take.

Ah - the railway. How can you be a 'catering stewardess' and work remotely, though?

Just now, HumbleNarrator said:

What's the thread about?? 🙄

The PSV industry

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
3 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The move to contactless/pre-paid payments is inevitable as it saves time and money for businesses, safer and quicker for all.

All except dinosaurs

2 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

On the railway the 'revenue' can tell where and when you bought an e-ticket and therefore can pursue a Criminal fraud charge if someone does that. On the bus/tram I would assume they can do the same it would always be a Civil Law matter.

Yes but Guards can't do much about it as long as they purchase the ticket, they cannot collect Penalty Fares or conduct PACE interviews for prosecution. It holds up the ticket checking process waiting for people to get their tickets up on screen (or actually purchase them), there is the repeated issue with brightness of the screen not bright enough to scan, excuses of battery dying etc. 

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Ah - the railway. How can you be a 'catering stewardess' and work remotely, though?

Trolley dolly, change not needed as most prices are beyond normal peoples acceptance and are generally in straight pounds anyway

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

I was a catering stewardess on public transport. I worked remotely and managed a £40 float of cash. I can safely say cash payments were easier to take.

In the past there was an issue with taking card payments on public transport which had no reliable internet connection and payments were not live/instant, especially on trains and  supertram. This has been largely resolved. I was told by one TOC employed caterer that one reason they sometimes stay put is because of a weak signal.

• Like 1