South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

2 minutes ago, redruby said:

True, the elderly usually have bus passes but not always, such as before 9.30 I believe. And there are other groups that could be discriminated against on cashless public transport https://naacp.org/resources/cashless-retail-transactions-promotes-discrimination-our-communities

That is America, not the UK

Do the 'elderly' usually have to travel before 0930?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

That is America, not the UK

Do the 'elderly' usually have to travel before 0930?

Think one often reason I have seen is for a hospital appointment, and I believe showing the letter gets you on for free. Or at least it did. 

And of course some elderly may still work, but in those cases they can pay the going rate. 

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Think one often reason I have seen is for a hospital appointment, and I believe showing the letter gets you on for free. Or at least it did. 

And of course some elderly may still work, but in those cases they can pay the going rate. 

The 'Hospital appointment' concession has, I believe been withdrawn - at least by First, as it was being abused.

How many 66+ are still working ? Yes, there maybe a few, but as you say, they can pay the going rate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

The 'Hospital appointment' concession has, I believe been withdrawn - at least by First, as it was being abused.

How many 66+ are still working ? Yes, there maybe a few, but as you say, they can pay the going rate.

I won't be in a rush to stop tbh, think I will get bored 😊

I would think that discrimination towards certain groups from going cashless would not be very different in the US.  It’s not just the elderly that could be discriminated against, it could be the disabled (who may not always have a free pass) or some people on low income who may find it difficult to access bank accounts/digital banking.  It may be a minority, but it’s a very vulnerable minority who shouldn’t be excluded.

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

The X78 route is now officially branded as Mainline, look at the side of one of those red and yellow buses on the X78 and you will see it says Mainline.

3 do, the others do not, thats how well it lasted.

After the departure of the last MD the new incumbent stopped the application of the name as it is seen by many in the industry as a failed brand.

Edited by busdriver1

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

They won't be able to get rid of paper tickets and cash payments without a fight. The RMT will want to defend the jobs of ticket office staff for a start.

There is a rule that actually means that going completely cashless is illegal so its not going to happen. 

Before you quote London, the situation there is that for some bizarre reason the powers to enforce that rule ( along with many others) have been delegated to TfL and crazy as they are, I doubt they will prosecute themselves.

57 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

3 do, the others do not, thats how well it lasted.

After the departure of the last MD the new incumbent stopped the application of the name as it is seen by many in the industry as a failed brand.

Do you think so? Mainline (the company, not the X78), built up a good network of services, from what I can gather, before they sold it to First. Obviously First are hugely successful, their brand is everywhere but the Sheffield operations evolved from what Mainline started. Similar to Jo Malone, who started her brand and sold it many years ago for a handsome profit, now it is one of the most popular fragrance retailers in the country.