South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

9 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

3 do, the others do not, thats how well it lasted.

After the departure of the last MD the new incumbent stopped the application of the name as it is seen by many in the industry as a failed brand.

Thanks, @busdriver1 - I thought I had read that on a certain really  useful forum. A certain poster on here is really showing their ignorance.

8 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Do you think so? Mainline (the company, not the X78), built up a good network of services, from what I can gather, before they sold it to First. Obviously First are hugely successful, their brand is everywhere but the Sheffield operations evolved from what Mainline started. Similar to Jo Malone, who started her brand and sold it many years ago for a handsome profit, now it is one of the most popular fragrance retailers in the country.

Mainline - the management buyout of the Sheffield/Rotherham/Doncaster municipal operations merely continued the original routes, and over time, as is normal in a fluid market, modified the services to operate in a manner which attempted to provide the best service possible whilst maintaining profitability.

'Fragrance retailing' is a completely different kettle of fish from the PSV industry.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Fragrance retailing' is a completely different kettle of fish from the PSV industry.

It's a different genre of business but both operate to make a profit and both were bought out for handsome fees, I have a Business Diploma, I know they are different service providers.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's a different genre of business but both operate to make a profit and both were bought out for handsome fees, I have a Business Diploma, I know they are different service providers.

Obviously they operate  to make a profit - if they failed to do so they would go out of business. Without checking, I don't know what they both fetched when they were bought out,  but that is irrelevant.

I have an HNC in Business Studies, but that doesn't really count (a bit like your Diploma)what really does is a proper understanding of the subject you are talking about, 'Love Potion'.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

There is a rule that actually means that going completely cashless is illegal so its not going to happen

Before you quote London, the situation there is that for some bizarre reason the powers to enforce that rule ( along with many others) have been delegated to TfL and crazy as they are, I doubt they will prosecute themselves.

There are already moves being made so that this is no longer the case given that it's been proven to work so saying it won't happen is false hope. 

The industry is pushing for it & in a probable first, the majority of all parties (management, union & drivers) are in agreement. 

Edited by Resident

43 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

It maybe, but your posting style and lack of knowledge bears an uncanny resemblance to that of a previous member of this forum with that 'handle'.

Oh dear RollingJ, here she goes again eh.

Regarding your comment about retirement. I managed to get out early, selling my house last year and finishing early, mainly to get away from know it alls with “business diplomas”.

This area still allows free travel to a hospital appointment before 9:30 with an accompanying letter.

14 hours ago, RollingJ said:

But they usually have staff on  the barriers - or did on the odd times I've used the Underground. In fact, most of my Underground trips have been in the company of an ex-BR staff member with a 'lifetime' pass which also will not scan, and we've never had an issue going through manually, so that seems a tad disingenuous.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHT: Isn't it time LT got into the 21st century?

In March Transport for London announced that “e-tickets” which are compatible with National Rail operators will be introduced and that paper tickets will be phased out from 2024. This is hugely dependent on  infrastructure at every station, software, sorting out payment share to operators and cost centres and unsolved problems around ENCTS, Railcards, Season tickets, Travelcards etc, 

1 minute ago, Annie Bynnol said:

In March Transport for London announced that “e-tickets” which are compatible with National Rail operators will be introduced and that paper tickets will be phased out from 2024. This is hugely dependent on  infrastructure at every station, software, sorting out payment share to operators and cost centres and unsolved problems around ENCTS, Railcards, Season tickets, Travelcards etc, 

I wasn't aware of that, so thanks for the information.  Maybe they should ask the Rail industry for guidance on many of the 'problems' you highlight - they seem to have got them sorted.

52 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I wasn't aware of that, so thanks for the information.  Maybe they should ask the Rail industry for guidance on many of the 'problems' you highlight - they seem to have got them sorted.

It was at the 'Transport Ticketing Global' London conference in March (you can register if you have a legitimate business) where Transport for London’s Head of Customer Payments,  Andrew Anderson made a presentation. Some of which appears in a CitiesToday article