South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

2 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Not really and i stand corrected against my own post after looking again

it has an hourly service from rotherham (73) and realistically 1 bus (7:30 from bus station arriving 8:06) for anyone who starts at 9 as the service is hourly to Waverley and goes to Treeton on the other time it runs. for people coming from sheffield on the 73 again its an hourly service and if you work 9-5 then you will be at Waverley before 8 or at 9:20 as, for some reason the bus has a 90min difference in time instead of an hour at the time workers would use it the most. go figure

the other service X74 only goes Meadowhall to sheffield and doesnt touch rotherham.

So if you are coming from Rotherham then you realistically have 1 bus you can catch to work if you work 9-5 or 8:30-4:30 and then you have to wait around for a while at work

even at full service an estate the size of waverley needs a better network. it was promised a bus station in the orignial plans and to be part of the BRT scheme (which is why Wood lane is "buses only") but that never happened

Blame our well-organised SYCMA for that last bit.

OK and as I said earlier, are people really going to be using buses given the type of people who work at places like this? It's not going to create a huge strain on the existing bus network imo. 

The buses the residents get are a different issue, to be fair. 

Sat next to a railway line, but we know a new station won't happen anytime soon. 

Just now, RollingJ said:

Blame our well-organised SYCMA for that last bit.

sorry, as much as i criticise the YMCA this isnt their problem. it was the PTE's originally and its RMBC for the Wood Lane section

the BRT scheme has never been officially scrapped (i had a fun meeting with the PM for it asking where the additional bus lane on the Parkway was going to go over the handsworth section which was planned) which is why RMBC / Brinsworth Parish council cannot repoen Wood Lane or until 7 years had passed (which it has now but for some reason they are only looking at it take traffic out of Brinsworth, stupid idea)

the bus station could still happen but its Howarth, the developers, dragging their heels. there is still no GP's surgery, Olive Lane the shopping area doesnt exist, the school is getting extended but Howarth stillhavent released the money to do it.  all of these were included in the original plans but its the developers holding it up, not Oliver and his trusty gang

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

OK and as I said earlier, are people really going to be using buses given the type of people who work at places like this? It's not going to create a huge strain on the existing bus network imo. 

The buses the residents get are a different issue, to be fair. 

Sat next to a railway line, but we know a new station won't happen anytime soon. 

Wow - what kind of people work at places like this then?

Bear in mind there is also academic facilities there and a lot of apprentices straight from school and not driving yet

5 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

sorry, as much as i criticise the YMCA this isnt their problem. it was the PTE's originally and its RMBC for the Wood Lane section

the BRT scheme has never been officially scrapped (i had a fun meeting with the PM for it asking where the additional bus lane on the Parkway was going to go over the handsworth section which was planned) which is why RMBC / Brinsworth Parish council cannot repoen Wood Lane or until 7 years had passed (which it has now but for some reason they are only looking at it take traffic out of Brinsworth, stupid idea)

the bus station could still happen but its Howarth, the developers, dragging their heels. there is still no GP's surgery, Olive Lane the shopping area doesnt exist, the school is getting extended but Howarth stillhavent released the money to do it.  all of these were included in the original plans but its the developers holding it up, not Oliver and his trusty gang

Wow - what kind of people work at places like this then?

Bear in mind there is also academic facilities there and a lot of apprentices straight from school and not driving yet

I assumed mainly highly paid professionals. Is this not correct then? 

When i went to school there was one bus there and one bus back, 6 miles away. If you missed it you were on your own. I am sure the current generation of snowflakes can cope with a mere 3 buses an hour. 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

OK, you are are obviously more involved with this than I am, but the PTE is a department of SYCMA, so they are still part of the problem, at least in regards to the bus station/road layout.

• Like 1

Just seems strange that a council would object to a business planning application because the buses are bad

Businesses don't have any control over local buss routes

And at the end of the day it's all about supply and demand..

Just more backward thinking from a labour council 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheffbag said:

to be honest there are onyl 2 buses that cover the Waverley estate

X74 Meadowhall to Sheffield at 1 an hour Mon-Fri only

73 - Sheff - Roth half hourly in week.

for an estate that big and the current AMRC there that isnt a lot and if the application went in with the A1 on it then someone didnt check it and RMBC were right to point it out

Passenger numbers for those services would denote that the current service level is appropriate. 

The 73 struggles to get round the estate at the best of times (Lescar Rd) due to the new rabbit hutches only providing one parking space so most households park their 2nd car on the road. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Just seems strange that a council would object to a business planning application because the buses are bad

Businesses don't have any control over local buss routes

And at the end of the day it's all about supply and demand..

Just more backward thinking from a labour council 

Local politics, Jack. If you've ever had cause to get involved with them, you'd spot the tactics.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Local politics, Jack. If you've ever had cause to get involved with them, you'd spot the tactics.

You need to know that RMBC are currently removing a perfectly sound and frequently used (X1/X10) bus lane on Sheffield Roadin order to install segregated cycle path. 

The stupidity is unbound with this council. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Resident said:

You need to know that RMBC are currently removing a perfectly sound and frequently used (X1/X10) bus lane on Sheffield Roadin order to install segregated cycle path. 

The stupidity is unbound with this council. 

Just like their larger neighbour! I'm convinced councils are run by lying, deceitful, lunatics.

Edited by RollingJ
Added a couple of descriptive words.
  • Like 1