South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Emboldened part: The post-November schedules have been available for at least a fortnight, so I would have expected you know what they are, without your usual 'speculation', which is far removed from reality.

Underlined part: I think you may find the Lyceum is a listed building, which is a slight obstacle to demolition. If you had done just a tiny bit of research, you would know the block opposite the Peace Gardens is being redeveloped into a hotel - Raddison, I believe.

A hotel and theatre would work well together. The actors would have somewhere to stay without even having to go outside (and face the inevitable beggars and junkies) and an onsite theatre would be a unique selling point for a hotel. It would bring an essence of glamour to the area. A pre-theatre dinner, followed by drinks in the cocktail bar, I can see it being popular. You are mistaken, I never said knock down the Lyceum building, I said the Crucible. You seem to dismiss any ideas or opinions as being detached from reality but the reality is that the Interchage is chronically under used, which is why part of it was sold off and knocked down and why the amusement arcade and newsagent closed there. 

Edited by Irene Swaine

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

A hotel and theatre would work well together. The actors would have somewhere to stay without even having to go outside (and face the inevitable beggars and junkies) and an onsite theatre would be a unique selling point for a hotel. It would bring an essence of glamour to the area. A pre-theatre dinner, followed by drinks in the cocktail bar, I can see it being popular. You are mistaken, I never said knock down the Lyceum building, I said the Crucible. You seem to dismiss any ideas or opinions as being detached from reality but the reality is that the Interchage is chronically under used, which is why part of it was sold off and knocked down and why the amusement arcade and newsagent closed there. 

Won't happen - the Pinstone Street development is way past any 'remodelling' stage, even if a theatre would fit into the space available, which I doubt - I don't see the depth being available.

If you only demolished the Crucible (why?), you would have insufficient room for a bus station.  Yes, the Interchange is chronically under-used, but our esteemed City Council and wonderful SYCMA are responsible for some of that - even if you accept it is 'not in the right place', it was a hell of a lot busier in the past (as was the now-demolished Bridge Street), but brain-dead 'redesigning' of the City centre has made it almost useless

As an aside, which bits of the Interchange were 'sold off and knocked down', and what/where was the amusement arcade and newsagent who closed?

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

If you only demolished the Crucible (why?), you would have insufficient room for a bus station.  Yes, the Interchange is chronicall

If the crucible and current 'Mini Interchange ' were both knocked down, there would be space for several stands with redevelopment of the underpass road and space for access from both Cambridge Street and Arundel Gate. 

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

As an aside, which bits of the Interchange were 'sold off and knocked down', and what/where was the amusement arcade and newsagent who closed?

Where the coach stands are now, there used to be several more stands adjacent to it where the office complex now is, leading straight on to Sheaf Street. The amusement arcade was located in the part inbetween the ATMs and DJ's. The newsagent was located on the westernmost stand, that is nearest to Flat Street. 

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

If the crucible and current 'Mini Interchange ' were both knocked down, there would be space for several stands with redevelopment of the underpass road and space for access from both Cambridge Street and Arundel Gate. 

Where the coach stands are now, there used to be several more stands adjacent to it where the office complex now is, leading straight on to Sheaf Street. The amusement arcade was located in the part inbetween the ATMs and DJ's. The newsagent was located on the westernmost stand, that is nearest to Flat Street. 

Why knock down the Crucible - and where would you relocate it?

Now, I admit my memory is getting old, the Interchange proper has always been the shape it is now, and I can only think you are referring to the old CBS layout, but would have to check back on old photographs of the area to confirm. I don't remember an amusement arcade, but it would not be something I would particularly notice - and I'm not surprised it closed, as bus stations are not somewhere I would imagine most sane people would want to spend their time.

Thanks for reminding me what was in that unit - but you have W. H. Smiths - do you really need two newsagents in such as small - transition - area?

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

Those buses are now still forced to use temporary stops with no facilities in unpleasant/unsuitable locations on Arundel Gate and Rockingham Street, both of which were supposed to have had investment under the council's "connecting Sheffield" consultation.

Do we know what the delay in putting in the investment is about?

Are they waiting for a suitable opportunity to bid for grant funding from government, or is it connected with developments and getting it paid for by developers. 

The council don’t just have the money lying around to spend on this stuff, it’s got to come from somewhere and it’s usually developers or government.

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Why knock down the Crucible - and where would you relocate it?

As I already said, I would relocate it to Pinstone Street where Somerfield used to be.

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Interchange proper has always been the shape it is now

Nope, it used to be much larger, with stands facing immediately east and siding The Queen's Head public house.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Thanks for reminding me what was in that unit - but you have W. H. Smiths - do you really need two newsagents in such as small - transition - area?

Transport Interchages are usually prime retail space, my point was that the Interchange has been in such a state of decline that the newsagent closed. There used to be another shop too, at the Harmer Lane entrance.

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Do we know what the delay in putting in the investment is about?

Are they waiting for a suitable opportunity to bid for grant funding from government, or is it connected with developments and getting it paid for by developers. 

The council don’t just have the money lying around to spend on this stuff, it’s got to come from somewhere and it’s usually developers or government.

It would cost much to remove the barriers on Leopold Street and the oversized footpath on Pinstone Street and open it back up. Many of the bus stops are still in place. 

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

As I already said, I would relocate it to Pinstone Street where Somerfield used to be. (1)

Nope, it used to be much larger, with stands facing immediately east and siding The Queen's Head public house. (2)

Transport Interchages are usually prime retail space, my point was that the Interchange has been in such a state of decline that the newsagent closed. There used to be another shop too, at the Harmer Lane entrance. (3)

(1) You can't -  that is the hotel.

(2) Before it was realised that people were developing short legs, so walking to the City centre became a chore, and buses were diverted to serve the centre.

(3) They are only 'prime retail space' if they are located fairly close to other developments/areas of interest. Sheffield Interchange isn't. I suspect that SYCMA want excessive rents, as none of the vacant units appear to be attracting interest. No doubt the situation is similar to the reason that (a) National Express closed the Waiting Lounge, down-graded/reduced the number of services using the Interchange, and (b) why other coach companies no longer use stands E5-E9.

42 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

(1) You can't -  that is the hotel.

(2) Before it was realised that people were developing short legs, so walking to the City centre became a chore, and buses were diverted to serve the centre.

(3) They are only 'prime retail space' if they are located fairly close to other developments/areas of interest. Sheffield Interchange isn't. I suspect that SYCMA want excessive rents, as none of the vacant units appear to be attracting interest. No doubt the situation is similar to the reason that (a) National Express closed the Waiting Lounge, down-graded/reduced the number of services using the Interchange, and (b) why other coach companies no longer use stands E5-E9.

The other stands towards the South end are often used for Rail Replacement bus services. 

3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

The other stands towards the South end are often used for Rail Replacement bus services. 

But are otherwise empty - in fact they are signed as rail replacement services, whereas at one time they were also used by coach companies as the Sheffield pick-up/set-down locations. Not any more though, as SYMCA and its predecessor SYPTE have set the fees too high and shot themselves in the foot - again!

Edited by RollingJ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

But are otherwise empty - in fact they are signed as rail replacement services, whereas at one time they were also used by coach companies as the Sheffield pick-up/set-down locations. Not any more though, as SYMCA and its predecessor STPTE have set the fees too high and shot themselves in the foot - again!

Yes, compared to other bus stations, Sheffield does have a low number of coach services. Some of the day excursions pick up outside The Penny Black pub, which is a shame when there is a purpose built station next door. 

• Like 1