South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

Yes, compared to other bus stations, Sheffield does have a low number of coach services. Some of the day excursions pick up outside The Penny Black pub, which is a shame when there is a purpose built station next door. 

The reason for the lack of coach companies using E5-E9 has been given - a couple of times.

Guest busdriver1
6 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Yes, compared to other bus stations, Sheffield does have a low number of coach services. Some of the day excursions pick up outside The Penny Black pub, which is a shame when there is a purpose built station next door. 

Why not ask SYPTE / SYMCA how much they charge coaches to drop off and pick up in the bus station and you will have your answer

Edited by busdriver1

Just now, busdriver1 said:

Why not ask SYPTE / SYMCA how much they charge coaches to drop off and pick up in the bus station and you will have your answer

The answer to what,  I didn't have a question? They charge a considerable amount and are very strict about how long a bus can be on the stand, even where the driver changes his destination blind. They are watching and moaning at any given opportunity, which is why when a bus arrives late, the driver sometimes has no choice but to let passengers on without taking fares, so that TSY don't get uppity.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Some of them need to be reserved for Rail Replacement coaches, as there is currently no where else to put them. 

The coach operators don't hang around for long - just long enough to load and go, and rail replacements don't either - I'm sure they could work round each other.

1 minute ago, busdriver1 said:

I keep making the point, but it is ignored.

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

The answer to what,  I didn't have a question? They charge a considerable amount and are very strict about how long a bus can be on the stand, even where the driver changes his destination blind. They are watching and moaning at any given opportunity, which is why when a bus arrives late, the driver sometimes has no choice but to let passengers on without taking fares, so that TSY don't get uppity.

How much is "a considerable amount ' so we can understand the situation better. 

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Why coach operators don't use the Interchange, maybe?

And what gave you the idea they  are 'very strict' - there are no SYMCA staff visible on the platforms - or anywhere else, for that matter, and I've seen buses standing for 45 minutes+ - with no driver in sight.

Edited by RollingJ

Just now, Meltman said:

How much is "a considerable amount ' so we can understand the situation better. 

I don't know, but a lot more than other bus stations which have more services. I have heard it is off-putting for bus companies. The precise amount will be commercial sensitive information and not disclosed publicly.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Why coach operators don't use the Interchange, maybe?

Cost. 

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I don't know, but a lot more than other bus stations which have more services. I have heard it is off-putting for bus companies. The precise amount will be commercial sensitive information and not disclosed publicly.

Cost. 

Your diploma has come up trumps. 🤣

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

And what gave you the idea they  are 'very strict' - there are no SYMCA staff visible on the platforms - or anywhere else, for that matter, and I've seen buses standing for 45 minutes+ - with no driver in sight.

Drivers have told me. They do have a PTE inspector at all South Yorkshire Interchanges.