South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

I couldn't see this referenced in this thread but only did a skim so I'm sorry if it's been mentioned already. Plan to bring buses back into public control and extend the tram network. It would be long overdue. I would use the bus a lot more but it's become so unreliable that if I need to be somewhere at a certain time it's not worth the risk. 

Coppards dream .

2 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I couldn't see this referenced in this thread but only did a skim so I'm sorry if it's been mentioned already. Plan to bring buses back into public control and extend the tram network. It would be long overdue. I would use the bus a lot more but it's become so unreliable that if I need to be somewhere at a certain time it's not worth the risk. 

It works brilliantly in London. I don’t see why we should put up with a second class service.

2 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I don’t really care. 

If it’s good enough for London, it should be good enough for Sheffield.

We could get Michelle Mone to pay for it. 

Typical response from the 'public'. From the last figures I  remember - and I think I read them sometime last year, TfL has had to go cap-in-hand for something like £40bn - and they are slashing services, even with that massive hand-out.

Just now, hackey lad said:

???

Don't bother - it isn't worth wasting the thoughts on.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

And how much does it cost - and I don't mean the fares, either.

A good, reliable public transport system isn't some kind of luxury add on, it's essential to an economy and society that works well. It makes life easier, expands the area that people can look for work in and benefits a population's health. If it needs subsidising through taxation, so be it. London's economy would be massively hit if the public transport system wasn't so good. A good public transport service in a developed economy is absolutely achievable, they exist in loads of places, just not in the UK apart from a couple of local exceptions.

3 minutes ago, Delbow said:

A good, reliable public transport system isn't some kind of luxury add on, it's essential to an economy and society that works well. It makes life easier, expands the area that people can look for work in and benefits a population's health. If it needs subsidising through taxation, so be it. London's economy would be massively hit if the public transport system wasn't so good. A good public transport service in a developed economy is absolutely achievable, they exist in loads of places, just not in the UK apart from a couple of local exceptions.

Where?

Just be grateful you’ve got a bus service that’s running at the moment.
Go North East buses have been on strike for five weeks and they have no plans to return to work until the 24th December.  The union has rejected the company’s offer of a 10.3% pay increase.  
A lot of people in the North East who have lost their jobs because they are unable to get to work due to the strike would be grateful for a bus service that needs improving at the moment.

• Like 2