South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

12 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Typical response from the 'public'. From the last figures I  remember - and I think I read them sometime last year, TfL has had to go cap-in-hand for something like £40bn - and they are slashing services, even with that massive hand-out.

Don't bother - it isn't worth wasting the thoughts on.

Well said RollingJ. And like a broken record I hark back again to 1986 when thatcher de regulated the bus industry. 
It never applied fully in London. They were protected from the annihilation of publicly funded services that the rest of us suffered. So called “private operators” coming in and creaming off the profit from the busy routes left the rest of the country struggling to maintain a full service, while in London they were insulated from this.

Hence the situation we are all in now. If a route doesn’t pay its way forget it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delbow said:

London. Manchester probably - need to wait a bit before knowing for sure but their tram network is fantastic. That's it as far as I know, everywhere else has been trashed by the privatisation model.

As I've said above, TfL scaling back, large scale - and struggling to find operators to run services. 'Manchester probably' - in other words, you don't know.

• Like 1

Very rarely catch buses but was sat waiting for one tonight at 4.45 . At 5.00 noticed a plastic bag hanging off the shelter ,flapping about in the wind . Notice inside it said the bus I was waiting for was cancelled till further notice .  Just stick a notice on the shelter for gods sake .

Just now, hackey lad said:

Very rarely catch buses but was sat waiting for one tonight at 4.45 . At 5.00 noticed a plastic bag hanging off the shelter ,flapping about in the wind . Notice inside it said the bus I was waiting for was cancelled till further notice .  Just stick a notice on the shelter for gods sake .

Have a word with our Oliver - it's his SYMCA that have that stupid idea.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

As I've said above, TfL scaling back, large scale - and struggling to find operators to run services. 'Manchester probably' - in other words, you don't know.

Manchester have only recently moved to the franchising model so what I meant is it's too early to say. I can tell you where I know has really good public transport though:

The Netherlands

Spain

Denmark

Prague

Norway

China

Sweden

Japan

Germany

Bogota

There will obviously be loads that I've never been to or I don't know anyone who's been there. Are you saying that what's a reality in loads of other countries isn't possible here? Because that would be odd.

2 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Manchester have only recently moved to the franchising model so what I meant is it's too early to say. I can tell you where I know has really good public transport though:

The Netherlands

Spain

Denmark

Prague

Norway

China

Sweden

Japan

Germany

Bogota

There will obviously be loads that I've never been to or I don't know anyone who's been there. Are you saying that what's a reality in loads of other countries isn't possible here? Because that would be odd.

No, not at all, but different countries (and cities, as you've mixed them) have different ways of operating.

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

No, not at all, but different countries (and cities, as you've mixed them) have different ways of operating.

Yes, and we can adopt those ways of operating if we choose to. Copy what works, don't do what doesn't work. It's not that complicated.