South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

Some mean bus drivers over christmas, we  went to catch a bus but we had no money and the driver would not let us travel

What happened to the spirit of christmas?

50 minutes ago, hello1964 said:

I expect peace

Quiet

Cheap fares

Silence

Plenty of room.

Radio relaxing tunes piped in..

Free tea...

Do you want a Butler too? ;)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, rogets said:

Some mean bus drivers over christmas, we  went to catch a bus but we had no money and the driver would not let us travel

What happened to the spirit of christmas?

Do you want a Butler too? ;)

A prompt, clean, safe bus more than once per hour midweek will do.

Cheers though like. Haigh and her buses for all...😃 😀 😄 😁 

This is a SYPTE issue rather than the bus companies but while taking the dog out this morning, I noticed that the bus shelter outside the old Abbeydale cinema, (full shelter with electronic timetable), has now been removed & simply replaced with a single pole stop sign.   It was noticeable this morning as there were a couple of people stood out in the blustery conditions, looking absolutely frozen. 

That's the second working electronic shelter along Abbeydale Rd to have been removed in a few months to just be replaced by a pole.  Another one disappeared up near Abbeydale Rd  / Carter Knowle Rd junction. 

The relevant  bodies want more people to use public transport & 'enhance the customer experience' as SYPTE, SCC & the bus companies often state, then I'd say that the bare minimum they could do to help people standing waiting for buses is to provide adequate shelters. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

That's what SYCMA call a service 'improvement'.

All part of Coppard's "Copy Burnham" plan. 

We're still in Stage 1 - Destroy what's left of any confidence/support for public transport

Stage 2 will be suggest taking back into public control (whilst still expecting private operators to run the actual services)

The issue is that the Burnham plan is a copy of the TfL plan, TfL who are currently BILLIONS in debt & being bailed out by central government on a weekly basis because failure would be catastrophic for the capital.

28 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

This is a SYPTE issue rather than the bus companies but while taking the dog out this morning, I noticed that the bus shelter outside the old Abbeydale cinema, (full shelter with electronic timetable), has now been removed & simply replaced with a single pole stop sign.   It was noticeable this morning as there were a couple of people stood out in the blustery conditions, looking absolutely frozen. 

That's the second working electronic shelter along Abbeydale Rd to have been removed in a few months to just be replaced by a pole.  Another one disappeared up near Abbeydale Rd  / Carter Knowle Rd junction. 

The relevant  bodies want more people to use public transport & 'enhance the customer experience' as SYPTE, SCC & the bus companies often state, then I'd say that the bare minimum they could do to help people standing waiting for buses is to provide adequate shelters. 

They've done it to a lot of bus stops. They've even gone as far as filling in the bus bays at bus stops so the bus stops in the main carriageway rather than pulling in out of traffic. 

Edited by Resident
formatting

4 minutes ago, Resident said:

All part of Coppard's "Copy Burnham" plan. 

We're still in Stage 1 - Destroy what's left of any confidence/support for public transport

Stage 2 will be suggest taking back into public control (whilst still expecting private operators to run the actual services)

The issue is that the Burnham plan is a copy of the TfL plan, TfL who are currently BILLIONS in debt & being bailed out by central government on a weekly basis because failure would be catastrophic for the capital

YOU know that, I know that, but many on here seem to think they have the public's interests at heart - for some unknown reason.

Mind you, as it is SYCMA's responsibility for stop provision - it looks like they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Edited by RollingJ

20 minutes ago, Resident said:

They've even gone as far as filling in the bus bays at bus stops so the bus stops in the main carriageway rather than pulling in out of traffic. 

That’s because bus operators tell councils that buses have difficulty emerging from bus bays because other drivers won’t let them out, resulting in delays to the bus service. So it’s done in the interests of speeding up bus services and making journey times more reliable.

51 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Have you asked the MCA/PTE why the shelters have been removed?

They wouldn’t do that without there being a good reason. They understand very well that people want / need shelters wherever possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

That’s because bus operators tell councils that buses have difficulty emerging from bus bays because other drivers won’t let them out, resulting in delays to the bus service. So it’s done in the interests of speeding up bus services and making journey times more reliable.

And your explanation for what is reported in post #2149, and, as an aside, the poor provision (temporary) stops on Arundel Gate, south-bound?

9 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Have you asked the MCA/PTE why the shelters have been removed?

They wouldn’t do that without there being a good reason. They understand very well that people want / need shelters wherever possible.

Utter tosh. Now driver's have to watch out for impatient drivers booting it around, into oncoming traffic. Bus bays are much safer than being stuck in the road and less frustrating for other road users if the bus has to be stood for a period of time longer than would normally (time points, boarding/alighting vunerable/wheelchair passengers. 

Did SYMCA and the councils consult drivers and operators before removing these facilities. No they didn't (because I've asked the operators and even they think it stupid)

How about in certain areas where entire bus lanes have been removed to put in cycle lanes where the data shows at most 2 cyclists using the route in a 24hr period? How is that "speeding up the bus services"?

Yes I have. Months ago. Still waiting on the response I was told I'd get in 2-4 business days. But then most councillors only put in a day's work every 3-4 months so we're still on schedule for that.