South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

On 17/12/2023 at 09:48, Baron99 said:

This is a SYPTE issue rather than the bus companies but while taking the dog out this morning, I noticed that the bus shelter outside the old Abbeydale cinema, (full shelter with electronic timetable), has now been removed & simply replaced with a single pole stop sign.   It was noticeable this morning as there were a couple of people stood out in the blustery conditions, looking absolutely frozen. 

That's the second working electronic shelter along Abbeydale Rd to have been removed in a few months to just be replaced by a pole.  Another one disappeared up near Abbeydale Rd  / Carter Knowle Rd junction. 

The relevant  bodies want more people to use public transport & 'enhance the customer experience' as SYPTE, SCC & the bus companies often state, then I'd say that the bare minimum they could do to help people standing waiting for buses is to provide adequate shelters. 

I can't see the logic in removing it and putting a pole there in lieu. As you say, it's unpleasant weather and shelters make a difference but more so for me, somewhere to sit down. Oliver Coppard and his meddling ways strike again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

I can't see the logic in removing it and putting a pole there in lieu. As you say, it's unpleasant weather and shelters make a difference but more so for me, somewhere to sit down. Oliver Coppard and his meddling ways strike again!

Do you seriously think that Oliver Coppard even knows that these shelters have been taken out?

Mayors do not tend to get involved in operational matters at that level.

23 hours ago, RollingJ said:

This all reminds me of the 'Street Trees' fiasco, which you still haven't replied to in the relevant topic, BTW.

Maintenance has never been my area of work and I’m not interested in the street trees, so don’t hold your breath.

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Do you seriously think that Oliver Coppard even knows that these shelters have been taken out? (1)

Mayors do not tend to get involved in operational matters at that level.

Maintenance has never been my area of work and I’m not interested in the street trees, so don’t hold your breath. (2)

Point (1) It appears Oliver knows very little of what is going off, unless it is one of his pet projects.

Point (2) My reason for continuing to push this is nothing to do with 'Maintenance' , rather more to do with the many glaring failures of the council to  do their job properly - the report, if you even looked at it, was nothing to do with 'maintenance', but rather more to do with the councils 'we know best, and we'll do it our way - good or bad - as we see fit' attitude.

The reason every bus is jam packed these days is the cuts in the service. Queues a mile long everywhere you go,  people packed like sardines into filthy, stinking, non roadworthy shells really.

People like Louise Haigh just vote touting, empty phrases , nothing more. Why, when reviewing bus services, do they not consult the paying public?

Edited by hello1964

3 minutes ago, hello1964 said:

The reason every bus is jam packed these days is the cuts in the service. Queues a mile long everywhere you go,  people packed like sardines into filthy, stinking, non roadworthy shells really.

People like Louise Haigh just vote touting, empty phrases , nothing more. Why, when reviewing bus services, do they not consult the paying public?

You must live in a different place to me.  I use buses on a  very regular basis, and rarely see 'mile-long' queues - yep I suppose at school kicking-out time the odd stop is busy - but at other times?? Who says people are packed like sardines in non-roadworthy shells - I haven't noticed this, and of course you will have done a full examination of all the buses on Sheffields roads - won't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hello1964 said:

My local bus, 120, is full in the morning and evening commutes from Fulwood Rd to town, but the rest of the time, not at all. Brand new buses on that route too, which are clean, tidy and comfortable, and frequent.

The other routes I use - 6, 51, 52, whilst less frequent, are of a similar standard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, hello1964 said:

Most daytime services are provide by operators on a commercial basis, ie to make money. If they want to make changes, they can, so long as it’s done at the times specified in the partnership agreement.

As I recall it, cuts to supported ( subsidised) services are discussed with the councils involved and decisions are taken by councillors at the combined authority.

If they did consult, how many people are going to agree with a service being reduced? Many people just want bus services to be there as a backup for when they don’t / can’t use their car, but in reality, they rarely use the bus. What would a consultation tell decision makers that they don’t know?

• Like 1