South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

You also qualify as a knowledgable contributor, Where have I said otherwise?😉:confused:

thank you - as you did not state who you were taking aim at (perhaps understandably) i thought we could have a little fun as the thread reaches towards it 40th page and suggest who

10 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

thank you - as you did not state who you were taking aim at (perhaps understandably) i thought we could have a little fun as the thread reaches towards it 40th page and suggest who

The OP?  - although he has gone quiet? A certain ex-council employee?

I'd have to re-read the topic to find any further suggestions - which I won't be doing today as I have quite a bit to do and I'm a bit busy on another (tech) forum I help out on.

Seems SCC are now trying to get out of reopening Pinstone Street by claiming they got a grant to close it under "Active Travel Scheme" by Government. 

I seem to strongly remember the public and the bus operators being told that it was a temporary measure to maintain social distancing. 

The Active Travel scheme was the 2 ill-concieved narrowing of Shalesmoor and Attercliffe road, both of which have been removed despite SCC's claims that should any of the measures put in place be removed.

I am eagerly awaiting the results of the big debate that the Council were having yesterday about all of this. I read that the bus companies seem to like the diversion of the routes because it has speeded up their travel times through the City Centre by 5 minutes.  I could argue that this is because they are missing out big chunks of the City Centre - particularly when Carver/ Rockingham St is closed -  or that passengers just don’t want to walk to the Rockingham Street stop where the pavements are narrow and uneven, and the area just doesn’t feel safe. For the number 30 bus heading towards Crystal Peaks (the one I use most frequently) Rockingham Street is the only bus stop between  West Street and Arundel Gate so that is quite a long walk between stops, but it’s quite easy to see how a bus could speed up their travel times here.

49 minutes ago, Poll said:

I am eagerly awaiting the results of the big debate that the Council were having yesterday about all of this. I read that the bus companies seem to like the diversion of the routes because it has speeded up their travel times through the City Centre by 5 minutes.  I could argue that this is because they are missing out big chunks of the City Centre - particularly when Carver/ Rockingham St is closed -  or that passengers just don’t want to walk to the Rockingham Street stop where the pavements are narrow and uneven, and the area just doesn’t feel safe. For the number 30 bus heading towards Crystal Peaks (the one I use most frequently) Rockingham Street is the only bus stop between  West Street and Arundel Gate so that is quite a long walk between stops, but it’s quite easy to see how a bus could speed up their travel times here.

Given the circuitous routes that some buses seem to follow in town then there is a trade off between the speed and the convenience for customers

On 17/09/2021 at 10:27, Poll said:

I am eagerly awaiting the results of the big debate that the Council were having yesterday about all of this. I read that the bus companies seem to like the diversion of the routes because it has speeded up their travel times through the City Centre by 5 minutes.

Of course. Not having to stop and let those pesky passengers board/alight is always quicker.

But...

IF the Leopold Street/Pinstone Street route was to be reinstated would it be feasible to have a light-controlled right turn from Pinstone Street into Furnival Gate (heading onto Charter Row)?   

When buses used to go via Leopold Street and Pinstone Street most of the delays I encountered (on buses heading south via Moorfoot) were (when having had to turn left down Furnival Gate) they then had to negotiate Furnival Gate roundabout to double back up Furnival Gate towards Charter Row.