South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Sad when a quite well-established operator ceases trading. The last Sheffield one that went down was MASS.

But maybe other operators will pick-up at least some parts of the withdrawn services.

Svc 6 was effectively:

a. the City-Universities-Banner Cross leg of the old svc. 50 (or latterly '30'); combined with

b. the Banner Cross-Millhouses leg of the old svc. 85.

I'll have to double check, @Jeffrey Shaw, but I seem to think 'Powells' was a opco of a larger group - if so, it was obviously losing its parent too much money.

3 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I hope First will be able to pick up some of their services. The 50 bus was very handy for Botanical Gardens and Whirlow Farm.

First haven't got the staff to 'pick these up' - they are struggling to run the services they already have.

1 minute ago, Ethermax said:

Cheers, @Ethermax- I'll have to add that to my list of useful sites.

1 minute ago, LovePotion said:

Yes, this is what I meant. First could take their drivers on. 

Or so could Stagecoach/TMT/any other operator.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I'll have to double check, @Jeffrey Shaw, but I seem to think 'Powells' was a opco of a larger group - if so, it was obviously losing its parent too much money.

Powell's was part of HCT group. 

Both Stagecoach and First have already planned further service cuts for later in the year due to driver shortages or because O-LIE-ver Coppard & SYCMA were not willing to subsidise loss making routes through adequate tender offers. 

Some of Powell's drivers went to Powell's after being let go from those companies therefore are unlikely to be welcomed back

2 minutes ago, Resident said:

Powell's was part of HCT group. 

Both Stagecoach and First have already planned further service cuts for later in the year due to driver shortages or because O-LIE-ver Coppard & SYCMA were not willing to subsidise loss making routes through adequate tender offers. 

Some of Powell's drivers went to Powell's after being let go from those companies therefore are unlikely to be welcomed back

Cheers @Resident. I seem to remember they were part of a larger group, and that has been confirmed above. I also remember seeing that 'let go' comment on the SYT forum.

30 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Sad when a quite well-established operator ceases trading. The last Sheffield one that went down was MASS.

But maybe other operators will pick-up at least some parts of the withdrawn services.

Svc 6 was effectively:

a. the City-Universities-Banner Cross leg of the old svc. 50 (or latterly '30'); combined with

b. the Banner Cross-Millhouses leg of the old svc. 85.

As it stands no replacement, leaving areas like Bradfield without any public transport.

Problem is many bus companies such as First are currently not interested in taking on any new tendered work - a combination of being short of drivers for their existing services (a national issue) and the level of subsidy on offer isn't enough to cover cost of operation giving that costs of fuel, wages and everything else is skyrocketing.

Hopefully the SYMCA will find a solution to cover the gaps in the network.

Edited by Andy C

1 minute ago, LovePotion said:

It is sad for the residents of Bradfield but also people who want to visit Bradfield. Perhaps a handful of 81s could be extended to Bradfield a few times a day. If SYPTE can't afford to tender that, something is VERY wrong. If SYPTE want to save themselves some money, they should scrap this tram train nonsense, that must be costing a fortune to subsidise.

The TRAM TRAIN is funded by central govt.