Are The Songs Land Of Hope And Glory And Rule Britannia Racist Propaganda?

20 hours ago, silverglade5 said:

Thank you West77 for your  most sensible and balanced view of this absurd charade. Let the snowflakes think what they want and let us get on with singing what we want without their censorship.

I think you need to read up on what the term snowflake means and then reread this thread, because it doesn't seem to be those of a left persuasion doing all the complaining and shouting. Cos let's face it, that's what you meant.

Morning,,   I think this is all getting out of proportion now.   Ok, wrongs have been done in the past but that's it. It's in the past and banning songs, removing statues and whatever else people think, won't right things . It's history and can't be changed . 

31 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I agree. The problem is there are just too many nasty people in our country who seek to ban legal things that give others enjoyment.  Those attending the proms in union jack costumes and singing Rule Britannia are not doing anyone any harm. The same regarding the statues many visitors and local residents enjoy the sight of historic statues.  

I asked you this yesterday, but you didn’t seem keen to answer:

Who is trying to ban anything?

And, a supplementary question:

Why do you want to ban people from banning things?

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

Banning Rule Britannia and other songs has been an issue in the News for quite a while now.  We wouldn't be having this discussion if there were not people out there trying to ban traditional British song  lyrics. 

I choose not to answer your supplementary question.

Nobody has suggested banning Rule Britannia. You have your knickers in a twist about nothing.

Some people have questioned its relevance to modern society. I think they have a point, but I don’t think it should be banned. I would like to see it replaced with something better though.

Anyway:

Why do you want to ban people from banning things? Isn’t that a tad hypocritical?

3 hours ago, melthebell said:

I think you need to read up on what the term snowflake means and then reread this thread, because it doesn't seem to be those of a left persuasion doing all the complaining and shouting. Cos let's face it, that's what you meant.

'Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions.'

Yes, that's  what I meant, no revision required.

Just now, silverglade5 said:

'Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions.'

Like people who have never watched the proms getting worked up over a song change? Sounds accurate!

1 hour ago, silverglade5 said:

Sounds a lot like someone who's making a big deal out of a story that's essentially made up... :?

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Nobody has suggested banning Rule Britannia. You have your knickers in a twist about nothing.

It comes up every year:

2019: Lily Allen calls for ‘Rule Britannia’ to be banned

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/lily-allen-rule-britannia-ban-remembrance-day-lyrics-a9200881.html