Train Ticket MacHine At Chapeltown Station

3 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

not everyone travels with an ipad or smart phone AND I would guess that if someone was having trouble using the ticket machine at the station then they would not be comfortable doing it on line

I take your point - a bit - but from my personal observations, VERY few don't seem to travel, or go anywhere, without a phone - even those older than me, and I'm 66.

7 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

I've got a mobile phone and that's what I use it for: to phone/text and access internet.  Wouldn't use it to pay anything!  That's what money is for!

Why not? If you order and pay for your ticket on-line, you may not even have to queue to collect it - many tickets will download automatically to a mobile device, and you have less chance of losing them, as well as saving time.

On 28/08/2020 at 22:26, AKAMD said:

It was 1980 Annie Bynnol and the ticket office was the only place to buy one!  £15 return Sheffield to London!

11 hours ago, AKAMD said:

Never used travel agents in the 1980s, didn't need one for Scarborough!

Confusing. 

You were going to London.

The ticket office was not the only place to place to buy a a railway ticket, neither was cash the only way to pay.

Most towns had a Travel Agent that were agencies for BR.

Both sold  their tickets for cash, personal cheques, debit card, credit card, travellers cheques, vouchers and personal  or business accounts.

Decades ago I regularly bought 3 month return tickets to Grindleford  and regional tickets not available from Sheffield on the day of travel at Woodcocks in Broomhill.

There were many ways of paying then. There are many ways now. Just choose which one you want.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

You select add to basket and it takes you to payments. I don't need to use trains any more because I lost my job thanks to whoever's in charge of timetables and services, apparently they are short staffed and tourists are more important than people trying to get to and from work so my lines last service is at 8.40pm from Dreadohall instead of 10.40 but I was supposed to finish at 10pm , my ex employer is not sympathetic or flexible so I was sacked.i doubt the new timetable is going to be a full one even though they have put the old services in as back on. I can't get a job where I live,  nothing but non existent jobs advertised by agencies and brick walls so I face losing my home too.