Learner Drivers Choosing To Use Automatics.

6 hours ago, Janus said:

Apparently there is an increase in the number  of drivers choosing to learn to drive in automatics.

Figures from the DVSA show the number of tests in automatics has risen annually since  2012.

They are stuck with buying only automatics,  unless they take another test in a manual vehicle at some point.

And here’s a surprise.   If you take a hgv test in an automatic you can then drive a manual  so I’ve been told but don’t know how true that is 

15 hours ago, Becky B said:

Isn't that what I said?!  My question was intended to be a musing as to why someone would choose to test with an auto...

My aunt learned to drive aged 72, when my uncle died. She learned in an auto for ease.

My nephew took his test in an auto aged 25 because his total inability with a gear lever and clutch left him with no option😀

I suppose there are lots of reasons for taking an auto test. I’ve recently bought an automatic car after 30 years of driving manual ones. I won’t be going back, I love it.

Much as I prefer driving automatics nowadays I still think that it’s a good idea for younger drivers to appreciate and have the option or skill to drive a manual.

I was converted by an occasional drive in a very old Toyota Corolla and really appreciated the ease of driving ,particularly in queues of traffic.

The modern versions are much more efficient and as far as economy is concerned I suppose it depends how one drives a manual car.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

(...)

The modern versions are much more efficient and as far as economy is concerned I suppose it depends how one drives a manual car.

That is very true, but the same can be true of autoboxes.

With transitioning to autoboxes full-time, I've found myself driving much more smoothly (as in, less aggressively), yet with still more anticipation than with a manual, to try and brake less often, even though there is no engine braking to speak of with an autobox.

It has had quite the effect on my driving economy, I recall starting with the Merc in 2012 around high 30s / low 40s mpg (diesel :gag:), eventually averaging mid-50s in mixed driving. Same with the 2016 car, started south of 28mpg last year, and now averaging mid-30s.

Auto is the future, especially once ICE cars are banned from sale. Got my first full EV in June, 217bhp, 230 mile range. nearly as quick as my old TVR. Had Hybrids (Toyota) for 5 years before the EV, plus I've got a conventional Auto (Range Rover). The Hybrids and EV are so smooth to drive, very easy - but unrewarding.

Still drive Manuals (TVR Audi and Chevvy) for fun though.

I still think it's worth new drivers learning in a manual to get a 'full' licence though.

When my workplace got auto vans, every single one of them had gearbox  problems, numerous times.

They soon changed back to manual, it must have fost them a fortune.  There was probably over 30 vans, all went faulty, my van was one of the last ones to breakdown. I put that down to me being a smooth driver, not setting off too fast.