Charging More For Carrier Bags. Does It Really Help Minimise Plastic Pollution?

52 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Paper bags are only a viable alternative now that plastic bags have increased due to taxation, 20p each.

On 03/09/2020 at 10:27, El Cid said:

It is a posative, it has made people think.

I probably use 2 plastic dog poo bags every day, there are just less than 10 million dog owners in the UK.

So that is roughly 7,300,000,000 per year in the UK alone, assuming one dog each; also assuming every picks up  :)

That’s a massive underestimate. There are more than that hanging on the trees in Meersbrook Park.

On 03/09/2020 at 06:33, butlers said:

Looks like single use bags in supermarkets have fallen from 7.5 billion a year to 560 million a year in the years since the charge came in.

Thats got to be a positive

as Firethorn1 said and I think its very relevent.   whilst its a fact we are not using as many carrier bags from the shops  are still we putting as much plastic into the refuse by using bin-liners?

On 02/09/2020 at 18:37, FIRETHORN1 said:

........ but then I buy bin-liners for my pedal bin....which are also plastic bags! I therefore feel that I'm not using any less plastic bags.....I'm just paying a bit more for the ones that I do use !

5 minutes ago, MarcyC said:

as Firethorn1 said and I think its very relevent.   whilst its a fact we are not using as many carrier bags from the shops  are still we putting as much plastic into the refuse by using bin-liners?

Putting it into the refuse is a start. Those single use carrier bags used to get everywhere when people just chucked them.

You can get compostable bin liners if you want to. I’ve got some for my compost caddy.

6 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Putting it into the refuse is a start. Those single use carrier bags used to get everywhere when people just chucked them.

You can get compostable bin liners if you want to. I’ve got some for my compost caddy.

You make a good point on both counts. 

and compostable ones will break down in the land fill that many of them will doubtless make their way to eventually.

On 04/09/2020 at 16:32, Pettytom said:

That’s a massive underestimate. There are more than that hanging on the trees in Meersbrook Park.

Well that's an improvement.   Last time I visited Meersbrook Park, dog poo was all over the paths