Local dialect of sheffield

When I was a kid we used to call Cow Parsley, "Mother dye" or "Mother die", but for the life of me I've no idea why. Any suggestions?

it was called "motherdie" as the superstition was that, if you picked it, it meant your mother would die...

*shrugs*

(I thought that was elder, anyway?)

P "won't go into dandelions being called 'pee- beds' " T

Can I throw in another aspect of the Sheffield dialect?some years ago I had relatives who lived in Cubbington a village just outside Leamington Spa,and my Wife were spending a few days with them, both had other committments so my Wife and I went to the village pub, and I ordered from the bar,the landlord said straightaway "you're not from round here", so I said "how do you know that"he replied "two things first your dialect, you come from T'wicker weer watter runs dow'nt tware,and secondly you ordered bitter beer, look around there's no bitter beer here it's all mild".Afterthat whenever we went in the same pub he always asked "Hows things in Sheffield then"

it was called "motherdie" as the superstition was that, if you picked it, it meant your mother would die... *shrugs* (I thought that was elder, anyway?) P "won't go into dandelions being called 'pee- beds' " T

We also used to call it "Queen Anne's Lace" which was preferable to mother-die. I wonder if that name was a corruption of French? or maybe they were confusing it with some other noxious weed that they wanted to scare us away from?

It's very pretty anyway :)

We also used to call it "Queen Anne's Lace" which was preferable to mother-die. I wonder if that name was a corruption of French? or maybe they were confusing it with some other noxious weed that they wanted to scare us away from?

It's very pretty anyway :)

We have the same weed over here in Canada.

I did not realise it was what we used to call 'Mother Die'.

My wife calls it Queen Ann Lace also wild Carrot

it was called "motherdie" as the superstition was that, if you picked it, it meant your mother would die...

*shrugs*

(I thought that was elder, anyway?)

P "won't go into dandelions being called 'pee- beds' " T

I used to be told that by my grandma.

We called dandelions "pittle beds" and they actually do have diuretic properties (make you wee). In France, you can buy them as a herbal remedy and on the bottle it is labelled "pissenlit" , lit being French for bed of course and you can guess the rest.

Although "crozzle" has been mentioned, there is another similar word that my partner thinks is peculiar to me and my mum, but I'm sure it is in local usage.

Snerped or snurped

When food has been cooked/left so long that its all dried up its said its "all snerped up".

If you go into the chippie when it first opens and get fobbed off with last nights fry, the chips are all hard and snerped up.

Anyone else use that one? Where does it come from?