Local dialect of sheffield

eurgh just the thought makes ya wanna wretch but it wudnt suprise me if u was right we r talking about a bloke that used cheese spread as butter cos he didnt like butter :S cheese spread n jam sarnies .. eeeeeeuuuuurrrrggggghhhhh

my husband likes cheese and jam sandwiches!! nutter lol.

Best Sheffield word for me is 'spice' instead of sweets - genius in my opinion.

But I've never been able to find anyone who could explain why horses are called Poppos.

Although "crozzle" has been mentioned, there is another similar word that my partner thinks is peculiar to me and my mum, but I'm sure it is in local usage.

Snerped or snurped

When food has been cooked/left so long that its all dried up its said its "all snerped up".

If you go into the chippie when it first opens and get fobbed off with last nights fry, the chips are all hard and snerped up.

Anyone else use that one? Where does it come from?

snarped...

I use it, it means, variously, "ruined", "useless" "tangled" "messed up" (get the gist?)

Snerped or snurped. When food has been cooked/left so long that its all dried up its said its "all snerped up". Anyone else use that one? Where does it come from?

I think it's in general usage, or it used to be ... not only crozzled food can be referred to as "snerped up" ... lots of things ...

I think it was applied to anything that had had the life drained out of it, like an apple, for instance, that was a bit past its best, it was all snerped up. Little old people, my mother used to say something like, "Ohhh! look at him, he's been ill, he's all snerped up! She also used to say if you grimaced at something "Don't snerp your face up like that!" So it means anything that was dried up or wrinkly probably.

I love it, now you've remembered it to me, I shall make it my word of the week! :D

PS I like cheese and jam sandwiches too! Only blackcurrant or blackberry though, with a nice bit of Wensleydale or Lancashire! :) yummy!

I suppose cheese and jam sandwiches are only like eating cheesecake with a fruit filling on top.

I used to think it was odd when my mum ate Christmas cake with a piece of Wensleydale cheese. There was also a girl in our class who ate bananas with brown sauce.

This started with the word "clarty" didnt it. I think Ive heard my mum say all clarted up, but we tend to say "claggy" for the sensation of peanut butter or similar in your mouth.

Just thought of something else.

You know how boys used to make those carts with old bits of wood and pram wheels? Well round where I lived they were referred to as "bogeys", which I was told had its origins in the pit, something to do with the wagons. Funnily enough, they were never confused with the other type of bogey!

I like cheese & jam sarnies too, and a bit of Wensleydale with my fruit cake or mince pie.

My dad used to say (if you stood in the way), "you make a better door than a window." I dont know if this is Sheffieldish or just general though.

Does anyone know the origin of:

1/corsey edge

2/lamass

3/no hobbies on

4/outs

5/six foot and a gassy

6/drags

7/hit or miss run two

8/around t'lump

9/mardy

10/a face as long as Norfolk Street

I wonder if mardy comes from the french word merde meaning excrement for want of a better and forbidden word

I thought of one. Not really dialect but I've never heard it anywhere else.

'Sunday Pint'. Do they still use the term in Sheffield for the straight sided pint glass or the one without the handle?

That's a new one on me ,,, never heard it before, Texas. I was a barmaid too, in my far off studenty days :)