Local dialect of sheffield

Thats a "good Un" Suzanne,. I used to get the southerners out with that one,Coil oil/Coal house. When asked the meaning , someone once replied ,"is it something to do with a car engine ,where one would put oil into it " .Thats the truth,it happened in Oxford 1964, i wasnt at university or owt, iwas working down there.

I was going to say that, my grandad used to say it to me all the time

wizthafrumthee,Sheffildweertwatterrunsoertweir.=Where are you from, sheffield where the water runs over the weir

it's "A cum from Sheffild. wi't'wikker, weert watter runs or'tweer"

On moving to Leicester in46 I remember my mother sending me to the store for some soop ,eh what sort of soop i was asked we have tomato soop ect,No no thee knows soop ye wash thy selves with,daft sod couldn't speak good English

Has anyone heard the phrase 'all oer't shant' meaning clothes, toys etc left all over the place?

Another childhood phrase - 'shurrup or thall gerra scutch!'

It's a shame sheffield dialect is dying out - my kids all use these phrases, and many of their friends who have also grown up in sheffield have never heard them before. I also hate so called 'estuary english'. Be proud of your dialect, even if nobody beyond South Yorks can understand you!

I totally agree, south yorkshire dialect is being eroded rapido.By the way how do you think i manage here in southern Ireland,,after 8years,i still get this reply "Eh? what". to things i say.

It works the other way too.

My mum's Irish and has lived in Sheffield for 60 years, but still gets misunderstood by her contemporaries

It’s possible of course to have a difference of dialect within the same street.

When my friend Wriggo and I went to Lomas’s on Margetson, he would ask for a “Penny-ha’penny lolly” and I would ask for a “Three-ha’penny lolly”, but we always ended up with the same thing - a lovely round blackcurrant Kojak style lolly.

Mind you, we were scuppered when they went up to tuppence!!