Local dialect of sheffield

High knees was a term used in 'marbles'. As a penalty you would have to try and hit your opponent's marble with the handicap of flicking your marble from your bent knee whilst standing on one leg. Another marble game was 'dogger',which involved two holes in the gutter,and when you had rolled your marble in both holes twice,it became a killer ,and any opponents marble it touched after that became yours. Happy days-and cheap too!

Marbles,marbles?Surely you mean 'mabs'

As my dear departed mother used to say"Thars got moor rackl thana cana mabs"

Another Sheffield Poem

Ar Sals Got A New Bonnet ,nowt Init Nowt Onit , Ar Sal Went To Church In Er New Bonnet , Alt People Stood Up And Staired,

Parson Stands Up An Sez This Is A Place Of Worship Not A Flower Show , Ar Sal Stands Up An Sez Thouz Gotta Bald Ead , Nowt Init Owt Onit , Wud Thou Like A Feather Outa My New Bonnet

Another saying that was used, "The two women wre having a good 'mag' " meaning they were having a good gossip.

Where did the word mag originate, is it a 'Sheffield' word, or is it used in other places?

Happy Days!

Definitely used in Australia

Plain Talker

According to one of my family who was a Buffer.

In the cutlery trades to be 'datal' was to be a part time worker

who got a day rate for an 'owing' of work.

To call somebody datal was to imply they were slow on the uptake, hanging around or not very competent.

An 'owing' was a bundle of work which varied in size - so many dozen or depending on the order.

In the old days the grinders, cutlers, buffers etc. were owed the money until the work was completed satisfactorily.

Datal work was work that the regular workers either didn't want or it was overspill which they were too busy to complete.

Happy Days!

dowker uk

We have always used the word 'coke' to describe an apple core, at school just after the war we used to share apples and we always said,

"Ar bags apple coke whjen tha's done wee it!"

The wiord was used to descrbe the old grinding wheel cores that had worn down so much they couldn't be used for grinding.

These cokes were used as weights on the belt systems that drove the grinding wheels and also on the Bullstakes that were used to switch the belts across on and off the drive pulleys.

Happy Days!

I wouldn’t say “Arr” as in “Arr mam” or Arr dad” was indigenous only to Sheffield, but certainly Yorkshire.

Have you never heard a scouser talking or a manc for that reason? They alsways say our mam or our kid etc.

Does anybody remember the following phrases and are they still used in Sheffield.

Stop 'towing' tha'll wear thissen art!

He gen 'er, a good seeing to!

That dog didn't arf gi that other dog a good towsin!

All ya 'argie bargie' downstairs can allus be best settled upstairs!

If tha dunt gee'orr, a'll gi thee a scope at back a' neck!

I can hear them now from all those years back when I was a kid in Owlerton.

Happy Days!