3/no hobbies on

4/outs

5/six foot and a gassy

6/drags

7/hit or miss run two

8/around t'lump

9/mardy

10/a face as long as Norfolk Street

1. Corsey edge - not strictly just pavement edge, it actually comes from causeway edge ( causeway being an old word for a road)

If I remember rightly a set pot was a washing pot. Imagine a washing bowl of cement set in a brick enclosure with a little fire underneath to heat the water. Gosh I wish I could draw one- well the set stick would be used to lift the washing out.

BTW another word I remembered was fettle. Mum would say she had to fettle that fireplace next day- meant give it a good clean out I suppose.

A setpot was a cast iron pot about a half a metre in diameteralmost like a soldiers tin hat, with a rim to fit on lengths of metal across the brickwork, which held the firegrate under this pot, the flue was formed in brickwork and entered the chimmney flue of the yorkshire range, I replaced several of these setpots as a young lad, and in later life knocked a lot down and fitted the gas copper boiler in its place [ such luxury brought utter delight to the ladies of the day]Cheers Arthur.PS [ The small children

were often bathed in the set pot after the washing was finished]

Today on Radio Sheffield, one of the the lady announcers asked listeners to send a stamped addressed Onvelope. I wonder where she comes from?

In one of the Arctic Monkeys' songs, Dancing Shoes, Alex sings "and it's oh so obsurd" and he's from High Green!

I say Onvelope and have done for 60 years and so does my mother. I'm from Heeley Green and my mother from Ecclesfield so I think it is (or was) fairly normal. Envelope is an alternative that seems to have become more prevalent. My pronouncing dictionary has both.

High knees was a term used in 'marbles'. As a penalty you would have to try and hit your opponent's marble with the handicap of flicking your marble from your bent knee whilst standing on one leg. Another marble game was 'dogger',which involved two holes in the gutter,and when you had rolled your marble in both holes twice,it became a killer ,and any opponents marble it touched after that became yours. Happy days-and cheap too!

I think the word[ hobbies ]was used when hobnail boots were the rage, as a lad we all had our fathers or the cobbler put hobnails all round the edges and 3 rows down the middle of our boots so we could enjoy a good slide with or without snow. To-day I suppose they would be regarded as very good to kick someone lying on the ground by some lads ,Arthur.

I work with someone who hails from Cheltenham, as well as go out with someone who hails from Middlesex (which in turn must have been bad cos they decided to shift the boundary and include it in Surrey ;)) and the words nesh, mither, sneck (or schneck in the case of a big nose), roaring as in to cry loudly, and many others are a complete mystery to them. The other thing they both detest, by alla ccounts, is that I say 9 while 5, for example and apparently the correct vernacular should be 9 til 5. Breadcakes/rolls are also frequently up for discussion.

Another word we've always used is scrawm, as in scrawming (crawling) on the floor. Laking, or ligging, for idling about. Towing, I think is Barnsley or thereabouts for going slowly or taking your time. And my bloke's favourite is still calling roads, THE Ecclesall Road, or THE Abbeydale Road, or THE London Road on the basis that it's THE road to or thru that area :huh:

IN my young days [towing] was used as such when someone was worried [ Its no good towing abaht it thal orny mek thi sen badly]