Local dialect of sheffield

I always found the word 'coat' was a good indicator of where someone came from in or around Sheffield. If they pronounced it 'cooat', they were from Sheffield proper, if they pronouced it 'coit', they were from out of town.

In Barnsley you put on your "coit"

You can spot someone from Barnsley dead easy..

Fohty - 40

Laikin' - playing (actually a scandinavian word and probably a hangover from the Vikings)

and from Sheffield by making two syllables out of one.. coat coo-at, mean me-an, dead dee-ad, as in the old '70s joke, why have Sheffield United only got 10 men.. cos one of 'ems a Dearden.

EEEE! init grand !! All this teks me back to wen ah were a babby.

Me Ma used to allus be lookin o'er garden waul nosyin'

An if 'er in yard towd her owt she dint believe she'd shreeek " eeeh well I'll gu to foot o' our stairs!"

'avin' a bath int front o' fire wer'n't reeet gud cus watter were allus cowd and not reet clean if tha were yungen o' ten!!

I so agree!

I didn't realise it was a colloquelism rather than english - I think the word is brill!

When i used it in Oz - I also got some funny looks - they had no idea what it meant and I found it so hard to explain without using the word 'mardy' again!

Out here the closest word to replace mardy would be 'sooky' - which doesn't quite hit the spot for me :)

I've never heard of "sooky", but if I had to explain what mardy meant I would say it is when someone has got t'monk on.

Anyone know where that phrase originates?:huh:

Sorry LaceCurtains for the late reply, my dad used the phrase trazzing in the 60's. Reading this thread has reminded me of so many phrases and words from my childhood, it's brilliant. The post by bigcheese has started a new train of thought on meanings for being p**sed off. Got the nark on, got the face on, got the kite on, taken the hump, loads more i cant remember just now. Where do they all come from?

Sorry LaceCurtains for the late reply, my dad used the phrase trazzing in the 60's. Reading this thread has reminded me of so many phrases and words from my childhood, it's brilliant. The post by bigcheese has started a new train of thought on meanings for being p**sed off. Got the nark on, got the face on, got the kite on, taken the hump, loads more i cant remember just now. Where do they all come from?

the ones I can think of off the top of my head are:-

"Got 't' monk on",

"Got 't' dolls on",

"Tekkin' 't' nark"

"Got 't' cob on"

Doldrums..means..

Area of low atmospheric pressure along the Equator, in the intertropical convergence zone where the northeast and southeast trade winds converge. The doldrums are characterized by calm or very light winds, during which there may be sudden squalls and stormy weather. For this reason the areas are avoided as far as possible by sailing ships.

So, if you are in the 'doldrums' we all need to avoid you!:hihi: