Local dialect of sheffield

A recent scene in our house. Sat watching an episode of Coronation Street (I confess to being an addict), I turned to my wife (who is not an ex Sheffielder) and I said of Fred the butcher: "'Eez popped his clogs." She had no idea what I meant. When I told her, she thought it so hilarious that she went around telling her friends about this quaint English expression for someone dying. "Poppin' one's clogs." We used it all the time when I was growing up.

"Popping his clogs" presumably because when someone died their next-of-kin would pawn his shoes (clogs) for money. Another phrase is "Cocking hs tooers up" perhaps meaning that when a person was laid out their toes would be pointing skywards i.e. laying on their backs?

Another term I remember my grandmother using at this time of the year was "spiced looaf " meaning Christmas cake.

Duffem

Someone mentioned in Barnsley coat= coyt well, in the early 1970's my husband was manager of a tailors in Barnsley and a customer came in asking for " a leet coyt" , my husband had to ask a local staff member what he meant, apparently it was " a light coloured coat".

Duffem

dowker uk

We have always used the word 'coke' to describe an apple core, at school just after the war we used to share apples and we always said,

"Ar bags apple coke whjen tha's done wee it!"

The wiord was used to descrbe the old grinding wheel cores that had worn down so much they couldn't be used for grinding.

These cokes were used as weights on the belt systems that drove the grinding wheels and also on the Bullstakes that were used to switch the belts across on and off the drive pulleys.

Happy Days!

My grandfather was a "dry stone grinder", I've watched him many an hour with all the sparks flying, no safety goggles or protective clothing, just sitting astride his "hoss" with the stone whipping round at an amazing speed.

One day we'd been fooling around whilst he was grinding and when we got home he told my grandmother that we'd been "magin abaht all day, we wunt geeoer, if he'd hed to tell us once he'd hed to tell us three bl**dy times, an another thing, they've been tying cokes to mi belt", it became a family phrase after that, when anyone got angry it would be followed up with that phrase.

Duffem

Our owd fella allus used to say 'put wood int 'oil' - close the door, 'strike a leet', - switch on a light, 'it'll fit carneera', - stretching clothes/clobber, 'up to fetlocks in claggit' - mucked up, 'back o' fosters' - out in the sticks - mind you he allus used to say if he's bigger than thee, half a brick makes up for it!

Another term I remember my grandmother using at this time of the year was "spiced looaf " meaning Christmas cake.

My grandma also used the phrase "spiced looaf" but not for Christmas cake - she used to bake her own "spiced looaves". They were a sweet kind of bread with things added such as candied peel and raisins. She also made delicious Sally Lunns...

My grandmother used to send me on errands but, always used the phrase" I'll let ya gu tut shops fo mi".

She always used to ask me to "pan mi new shoes in fo mi", incidentally she wore size 4 and a half and I wore a size 4 so, there I'd be "gooin tut shops for er, slurrin mi feet so as to keep er shoes on my feet as they wa too big".

mun = must, as in "tha mun do it fo thissen ( do it yourself ).

geeoer wi thi = if someone said something which the other person didn't agree with.

bobbar = Blackburn Meadows was "a bobbar pumping station".

rooard = road.

Edmund Rooard Drilloyl = Edmund Road Drill Hall.

Woodheead = Woodhead, over the Pennines.

stooave = cooker

dampin t'fire aht = laying some material on the fire to keep it in overnight.

beer bottle bottoms = heavy lenses in spectacles.

allus = always.

rooap = a piece of rope thrown over a gassy (lamppost ) to swing on.

I could go on and I have but, I'll not "clag" the site up!

Duffem