Local dialect of sheffield

cheeapskate = someone who was tight as a fishes' *rs*, mean, miserly.

du as thart teld = behave yourself

brob = to poke something, " I'll gi thi a brob int eye if tha dunt geeoer".

av teld thi once, twice three times an ah sharnt be su long afoore ah tell thi ageean!

Duffem

Just thought of some more:

naging = meaning pain, "back's been naging all day" etc.

screwterd = rhubarb, usually a stick of rhubarb given with some sugar in a bag.

'obbin foot= a metal shoe holding device, every home had one to do their own shoe repairs.

clooas ors= clothes horse, for airing clothes.

snerped up = when a garment had been washed or bacon over-cooked, it became smaller.

capeeard= a man wearing a cap, usually on the lines of Andy Capp.

Duffem

You're right, bacon was "crozzled" when it was well-cooked but, if it was overcooked it became "snerped up" at least in our house!

Another one sprung to mind:

skerrick = as in "he hasn't got a skerrick" meaning hard up, where did that one come from?

Duffem

Another Sheffield Poem

Ar Sals Got A New Bonnet ,nowt Init Nowt Onit , Ar Sal Went To Church In Er New Bonnet , Alt People Stood Up And Staired,

Parson Stands Up An Sez This Is A Place Of Worship Not A Flower Show , Ar Sal Stands Up An Sez Thouz Gotta Bald Ead , Nowt Init Owt Onit , Wud Thou Like A Feather Outa My New Bonnet

My, it's a long time since I heard that one, brilliant, my grandmother used to say it but, I never knew the full verse so, thanks for that.

Duffem

"Crozzled" was the only way my mother would eat bacon. (verging on the Snarped-up!)

Our neighbour's lad had "snerped up" shoes after he'd fallen in the river and his mother put them in the oven to dry out, he was walking "twiddled tooed" fo weeks!!

Duffem

I like my bacon on the crozzled side, it seems to concentrate the flavour and, being shrunk up like, you can get a bit more in your roll. Sorry, bread cake.

I don't like it crozzled with a full English though, I prefer it like a slice of meat then, with Hendersons of course.

One that seems to have dropped out since the demise of industry..............

"'e's a bit datal, tha knows"....... from when workers could be paid for quantity (piecework) or on a daily basis ( datal). The latter were not as proficient, a bit slow.

Someone not quite with it, and not necessarily work related, was described as "datal".

And I've heard joiners talking about a piece of timber needing to be shaped to fit something off a true line as "It wants cuttin' ont' scunt". Somebody might confirm that's right!

There's a new booklet come out on Sheffield dialect. (Another one!) It's not cheap for what it is, at £3.75 for 60 small pages, and you mustn't believe everything in it is pure Sheff. EG. "Setts" are described as "cobble stones". It's not a local word and setts were never cobbles. Setts are square cut granite paving, cobbles are big pebbles wherever you go. There are others, but it's too easy to be critical. Just don't take everything as gospel and hope whoever writes the next one will take trouble to get it right.