Local dialect of sheffield

This thread got me thinking about local words...

eight foot, six foot, jinty way, gennel, snicket, ginnel... all words for the same thing.

My grand mother always called bread cakes, barm (balm)?? cakes, elsewhere I've heard bread cakes called morning rolls, baps, buns. When I first moved across here to the flatlands of Lincolnshire I went out to buy to bread cakes, Mrs Grinder thought I was going to return with creamcakes or similar.

Balm was Yeast.

Don't know if its been mentioned " Gormless"

i.e."Thart gormless" You are stupid

UOTE=GrinderBloke]This thread got me thinking about local words...

eight foot, six foot, jinty way, gennel, snicket, ginnel... all words for the same thing.

My grand mother always called bread cakes, barm (balm)?? cakes, elsewhere I've heard bread cakes called morning rolls, baps, buns. When I first moved across here to the flatlands of Lincolnshire I went out to buy to bread cakes, Mrs Grinder thought I was going to return with creamcakes or similar.

mardy adj. (100%)

( mardier , mardiest ) N. English sulky; moody

---

The only thing I can think of with "Lammas" is Irish, as used in "The Old Lammas Fair at Ballycastle",

----

. Lammas n. (98%)

the first day of August, formerly observed as harvest festival.

--------

Corsey edge.

I assume this would be causeway edge, that has been bastardised over the years.

causeway n. (100%)

a raised road or track across low or wet ground.

---------

I hope it was a proper fishcake ;) , a rissole on a (fruit) teacake... doesn't bear thinking about :(

eurgh just the thought makes ya wanna wretch but it wudnt suprise me if u was right we r talking about a bloke that used cheese spread as butter cos he didnt like butter :S cheese spread n jam sarnies .. eeeeeeuuuuurrrrggggghhhhh

I think Mardy came from the Sudan,if you read Kipling he wrote that the Mahdi were the only ones to break the British square. In other words a spoilsport.

When I first left Sheffield i thought everybody but them posh people on the BBC all spoke like me until I was called up in 1947 to Pontefract and up comes a Geordie and asks me a question, what did tha se? he repeated the question, a don't know what that torking abaht. It turns out he was asking me where the NAAFI was. I was transferred to the Northumberland Fuseliers from the York and Lancs and sent to Gibraltar where I learned fluent Geordie.

Anyone know what a chebble is?

There are other words that were used in other areas such as Lincolnshire:

Canvas - was another word for Lino / Linoleumn

Snek- was another word for latch (a latch on a door) or Big nose e.g. He got a big snek on him.