3/no hobbies on

4/outs

5/six foot and a gassy

6/drags

7/hit or miss run two

8/around t'lump

9/mardy

10/a face as long as Norfolk Street

I've just seen this thread (and annoyed Mrs Sundae by spending the last 3 hours reading it).

The one that particularly caught my eye was No 3 "hobbies". I'm sure my mum used this word specifically for the nails, not for the whole boot - as in "buy some hobbies for me boo-ats". They were also called segs, I think. Maybe they were different designs, and segs were the shape of an orange segment, more for shoes than boots.

I love the word spice. My dad always said spice.

I also remember him saying "ought", meaning "nought", as in ought, one, two, three etc. This was specifically when he and a mate were checking some adding up, and they both were saying ought. I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say it, but it certainly wasn't a mistake, as both of them were saying it. Has anyone else heard this?

From my mum, if I failed to hear something (or more probably if I was wilfully ignoring her) - " 'as tha got cloth ears?"

I'm surprised I had to get so far into the thread before anyone said "luv". That's got to be the definitive Sheffield word, but only any use if said by one man to another, preferably a total stranger.

I remember reading somewhere (in a series of pamphlet-type books about Sheffield, from the early 70s, IIRC), that Crookes used to have its own clear accent/dialect. Does anyone know of any books etc about this type of detail, as I think it would be interesting. Remember when the Yorkshire Ripper tapes appeared, some experts at the time supposedly identified the accent to within a small area of Sunderland - I'm wondering if that type of information is available for South Yorks. Now having thought about the Yorkshire Ripper tapes, I wonder if when they caught the man who sent the tapes, whether or not he did come from the area that had been identified. Obviously, as people now move about much more than they did, say, 50 years ago, it wouldn't work for younger people, but there are still a lot of older people who have always lived in the same area all there life, and are old enough to not have been bombarded with "foreign" influences during their formative years.

Where I now work, we have employees commuting in from as far north as Leeds, and from as far south as Nottingham. This is most noticable in the canteen - its a bloody balmcake or a breadcake, a teacake's got fruit in it!!!

...and of course we get "ducks" as well as "luvs".

...one from me dad, if you encounter a foul smell,

"Two sniffs at that and tha's a glutton"

My mother used to say something similar when my father broke wind. She'd say "Anybody that'd take two sniffs of that is a greedy *person*" (self-censored)

The other response, when the "aroma" was rather, erm... "rich" was "Take deep breaths, an' it'll soon go away."

I From my mum, if I failed to hear something (or more probably if I was wilfully ignoring her) - " 'as tha got cloth ears?"

I remember reading somewhere (in a series of pamphlet-type books about Sheffield, from the early 70s, IIRC), that Crookes used to have its own clear accent/dialect. Does anyone know of any books etc about this type of detail, as I think it would be interesting. have been bombarded with "foreign" influences during their formative years.

Where I now work, we have employees commuting in from as far north as Leeds, and from as far south as Nottingham. This is most noticable in the canteen - its a bloody balmcake or a breadcake, a teacake's got fruit in it!!!

...and of course we get "ducks" as well as "luvs".

"ducks"/ mi-duck tends to be more very south Sheffield or Derby/shire, somewhat into Nottingham/shire.

And re the fruited teacake: surely, tha mea-uns a Kerrant (currant) tee-a cake! no? (well, that's more northern Sheffield / Stocksbridge/ Brnsley, to be accurate, I suppose! I was aghast, when attending Nottingham for a football match, following Shefield United, three or so years ago, calling into the Chippy, nearby to the ground, for a chip Butty, (yes naturally it'd have to be a greasy one LOL) and being told by the staff it was a "chip-cob". they didn't comprehend chip butty! ( *look of total astonishment*)

Cob? Cob? a COB??? a cob's what you get, on your head, when you bang it, for goodness sake! ( :lol: )

"ducks"/ mi-duck tends to be more very south Sheffield or Derby/shire, somewhat into Nottingham/shire.

And re the fruited teacake: surely, tha mea-uns a Kerrant (currant) tee-a cake! no? (well, that's more northern Sheffield / Stocksbridge/ Brnsley, to be accurate, I suppose! I was aghast, when attending Nottingham for a football match, following Shefield United, three or so years ago, calling into the Chippy, nearby to the ground, for a chip Butty, (yes naturally it'd have to be a greasy one LOL) and being told by the staff it was a "chip-cob". they didn't comprehend chip butty! ( *look of total astonishment*)

Cob? Cob? a COB??? a cob's what you get, on your head, when you bang it, for goodness sake! ( :lol: )

I think it was usually just teacake, when I was young. "kerrant" teacake is (to me) a later term, to differentiate it from a "plain" tea cake (ie a bread cake).

Something else I remember as a kid (late 50s, early 60s) is going to pie & pea suppers at social events. It was always a hot pork pie (with the jelly melted) and peas. Later on, it seemed to change to steak and kidney pie.

Also, shops now sell crumpets. When I was a kid, these were called pikelets. They still are pikelets in my mind, and I have to translate before speaking so that people understand me. There was even a shop on South Road, that everyone called the pikelet shop, which made them on the premises. I remember discussing these on another forum. Apparently, around Stoke way, pikelets are cooked without a ring and so come out flatter. The pikelet shop on South Road also made oatcakes - we used to have them with breakfasts, fried in dripping - Ah, the food of the gods. Does anywhere still sell oatcakes?

You can get oatcakes at Funk's pork butchers in Hillsborough - I think they are 40p for a packet of four. Delicious with a fried egg on top. They are just like the oatcakes that used to be sold at Mr Moule's pikelet shop just across Middlewood Road until the 1960s. There's a fine drawing of the shop in Eric Leslie's book "Oatcakes, Pikelets and Sarsparilla".