Local dialect of sheffield

You can get oatcakes at Funk's pork butchers in Hillsborough - I think they are 40p for a packet of four. Delicious with a fried egg on top. They are just like the oatcakes that used to be sold at Mr Moule's pikelet shop just across Middlewood Road until the 1960s. There's a fine drawing of the shop in Eric Leslie's book "Oatcakes, Pikelets and Sarsparilla".

Thanks for that. I don't know Hillsborough very well (basically limited to driving through between Malin Bridge and Penistone Road). Can you tell me where Funk's is please?

Yes, I agree, great with a fried egg.

<snippitty>

The term "crumpets" and "Pikelets" is used interchangeably, but there's a bit of a difference between the two.

A crumpet is smaller than a pikelet. A crumpet is about the diameter of a coffee mug, a pikelet is a bit larger, more like the diameter of an oatcake, but not as thin, it's more like the thickness of the crumpet.

All three are delicious.

As a sweet treat, have you ever tried apple sauce, smeared, thinly on a rolled-up hot buttered oatcake? Tasty!

The term "crumpets" and "Pikelets" is used interchangeably, but there's a bit of a difference between the two.

A crumpet is smaller than a pikelet. A crumpet is about the diameter of a coffee mug, a pikelet is a bit larger, more like the diameter of an oatcake, but not as thin, it's more like the thickness of the crumpet.

All three are delicious.

As a sweet treat, have you ever tried apple sauce, smeared, thinly on a rolled-up hot buttered oatcake? Tasty!

As I remember pikelets from the Pikelet shop on South Road, they were bigger than modern day packaged crumpets, but not by much, and nowhere near the diameter of an oatcake. Are the pikelets you are describing cooked within a ring to control the diameter and maintain the height, or are they free to spread out like an oatcake?

...and another point,

to my ear, and the way I speak, it's not " t'coil-oil ", it's just " 'coil-oil ". ie I don't shorten " the " to " t' ", it disappears completely

How do others hear and say "the"?

Edit. Example - " I've been daarn in 'cellar. "

When the 'the' disapears but is still there, is known as a 'glottal stop'.

The thing that really annoys me is when you get these actors, on radio and television, using a so called authentic Yorkshire accent and saying things like 'in t' oil' and 'on t' floor', stuff like that. And just as bad is when they say (to use your example) 'dahn in cellar', not even attempting a stop of any kind.

There must be an opening for some enterprising person to set him or herself up as a Yorkshire language teacher.

Years ago the pikelet shop was fair opposite to Funks on Hillsborough.

I think it is the Barnardo's Charity Shop now.

As well as making pikelets and Oatcakes they also made Milkcakes.

Does anyone else remember all these being made on a hotplate behind the counter where you could watch them being made?

Did you know that Havercakes (the old name for oatcakes) were brought into Yorkshire by the Vikings.

There was a Yorkshire regiment who used dried oatcakes (Havercakes) as their marching rations and guess what they carried them in a bag called a haversack.

The recruiting Sergeants used to go through the towns and villages with an Oatcke tied with regimental coloured ribbon to his sword.

The soldiers were always called the 'Haverboys'.

I hope this was of some interest? I do have more if anyone wants to drop me a PM and I will post it back.

Happy Days!

Years ago the pikelet shop was fair opposite to Funks on Hillsborough ... as well as making pikelets and Oatcakes they also made Milkcakes. Does anyone else remember all these being made on a hotplate behind the counter where you could watch them being made?

Yes indeed - and this is the scene depicted in Eric Leslie's drawing in "Oatcakes, Pikelets and Sarsparilla". I imagine the drawing is copyrighted or I would scan it and give a link to Photobucket, but the text reads "There, in full view of the street, was a large flat metal plate kept very hot. Every few seconds a man with an apron (i.e. Mr Moule) would pour a measure of creamy mixture on. There, it would sizzle noisily before being deftly turned over to sizzle on the other side until picked up and served on a piece of grease-proof paper."

Another expression that was used was,'to touch somebody.',meaning 'to borrow money'.

But if you were, 'to touch somebody up' was to touch somebody in a sexual manner

What a Memory, these days it blows in as fast as it blows out.

Happy Days!

Of course, the great thing about "Mardy" is that it is now immortalised in song by the Arctic Monkeys, so kids in USA, Australia and Japan will be asking the question "What on earth is a Mardy Bum?"

I am originally from Australia and I have always known what the term 'mardy bum' meant, way before Arctic Monkeys, although personally I would say 'mardy a*se'. If this is a Sheffield thing then I am confused because my father is from Nottingham. Is this term wider than Sheffield?

AB