Local dialect of sheffield

The word "scrawming"

Has just been added to the urban dictionary...

DUB,Y DUB,Y DUB,Y .urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scrawming

Result...

scroaming/ scrawming was always used in our house to mean crawling around, eg "gie-ower scroaming on't floo, tha'll be loppy!" (tr:- "stop crawling all over the floor, you will be filthy!")

My mother sometimes comes out with some odd sayings.

If i was to ask her to do something for me,she would reply "al peg thee a rug"

Or if i was telling her something she would say,"What did the band play"

Or if i asked her the time she would say,"it's quart to cheese with the village pump.

Is she bonkers?or are these old sayings?

My mother had sayings for everything, one she said similar to the one your mother said when asked the time was "a quarter to my elbow", or "half past mickey mouse!"

We were "nesh" if we felt the cold. My grandma would say, if cold "Eeh, Ahm Starved to dee-ath!"

My ex would call something that was rank, or cheap/ poor quality "cag". We met up for lunch the other day and the meal was vile. We agreed the food was "cag" and that we'd not be going there again.

I just googled the word 'cagmag'. Sure enough, it means bad food or a "tough old goose" (sounds like my grandma):

...Cag´mag (kăg´măg) n. 1. A tough old goose; hence, coarse, bad food of any kind.

and from another site:

...Cag Mag - Offal, bad meat; also a tough old goose; food which none can relish.

You live and learn!

When we were young my mother used to say at bedtime

"Up them jiggers"

Sometime she'd say "

"Up them jigaroopers"

Both expressions meaning

"Up the stairs (to bed)"

Anyone else come across this or did she make it up herself?

In the English slang dictionary, there is a word "jigger" meaning an alleyway.

My maternal grandmother whose family has been in Sheffield at least 200 years, always referred to Sheffield as Sheffeld, "art ta goin inta Sheffeld?". She also used to say, "Dus ta get mi meenin?" i.e. do you understand?

regards m.

Yes - "art ta" being of course the "Sheffeld" abbreviation for "art thou", as in "art ta gooin ooam toneet?" Just as "hast thou" becomes "aster", as in "aster bin ooam yet?"

Having been here 400 years ! - what about Naa den dee what daa doin daan ere den dee ?

This saying got the SHeffield |People known as Dee Daa's by other south yorkshire folk. Although I now talk with a 'telephone voice' I do talk slang as often as possible to keep it alive. Su theea !