Local dialect of sheffield

When we were growing up, folks in my family would refer to a baby with a bald head as a "bald headed checker."

Anyone else came across that or know where it came from?

A number of other sayings I've posted have received no response. It's entirely possible that my family invented its own vocabulary and sayings. This is not meant to be trite. Folk back then may have done this. Cheers.

T.V as changed all for ever why you can even understand what a Yorkshire man is saying and I wonder what they now speak in The Black Country, English was never heard there, 1946 I moved to Leicester much to the delight of my class mates many an hr was spent with class and teacher trying to decipher just what I was saying

You'll be pleased to know that the Sheffield dialect has gone international.My Japanese wife often uses the words 'shift' and 'sup up' even when she's speaking to me in Japanese.Rog G,you're quite right,a lot of families had their own slang and sayings.If my grandma thought anyone was being pretentious she'd say 'Ooh Oscar Wilde'My uncle and aunt (but not my mother) also picked up the habit,There were a lot more examples like that and if there was a distinct improbability of something happening grandma used to say 'that'll happen when Sheffield's a seaport town,'

Eyup Pop T,

Wanging is not exclusive to Sheffield. Down here on the edge of the Fens, my wife used to organise the village gala and one of the events was "Wellie Wanging". This brings me to another Sheffield expression, when egging some one on in a minor skirmish, he was urged to " 'it 'im wi' thi wellow"; which translates as "strike him with your gum boot".

Alseediden, Mike