Local dialect of sheffield

I remember once saying 'scroaming' to my friend 'stop scroaming about on that seat'' and a guy who was there from Ireland said ''Don't say that where I come from it means something else completely :hihi::huh:

We used to have a sort of test called '' scrorming ''. It was a similar principle to marking how tall we were on the wallpaper, but this measured our wingspan, for want of a better word.

You had to hold a two bob bit against a door jamb and then do the crucifix position along the wall. The wallpaper where you could reach was then marked. You couldn't cheat of course, because if you overstretched then the coin would drop.

If you were short of money my Mum used to say you were 'scratching'

I'm scratching this week Has anyone else heard this?

In times gone by, I'd often be found "scrattin' " for a few pence to get a loaf and some milk!

Does any one relate to the wored "Tozzin" meaning fantastic, these are obviously early post war words which might have another meaning.

My Gran would describe something as "tozzin" if it was a "Bobby-Dazzler" ;);)