Local dialect of sheffield

If someone was physically dirty they were 'loppy', is that still used today? I have been away a long time.

Yes - it's still used as a dialect word. It comes from the Danish/Norwegian word "lop" meaning a flea, and this word is still used for fleas in the North-East.

My dad used the term "tear-arse" for someone highly skilled in the art of high-volume farting. He himself was a truly virtuoso performer - nobody could hold a candle to him. Come to think of it, it might have been dangerous if they had...

Hillsborough

I gave the polirte version in truth the old saying is,

'He doesn't know the difference between having a good **** and tearing his arse out'

So Tear Arse and impatience are the same thing I would think.

As you well know many of the old sayings and dialect words were impolite, rude or downright obscene expressions, maybe this why they have fallen out of favour with this Politically Correct society we live in.

The old Tykes were never ones for a lot of talk but when they did speak they said what they mean't and were very outspoken.

PopT

Edited by PopT

If anyone did anything daft my dad called em a pobhead...

Anything that didn't work was as much use as a two bob horse....

and if you got it wrong you'd got wrong end o stick...

Edited by grinder