Local dialect of sheffield

Does anyone know the origin of:

7/hit or miss run two

QUOTE]

This was a way of settling "In or Out" arguments.

The batsman would have to get two runs off the next ball, regardless of wether or not he hit it. Failure to do so (and the bowler would bring out every trick in the book to ensure this failure) would result in his ignominious dismissal, and loud cheers from everyone else.

You taste something, you're not sure if you like it or not, and then it begins to taste pretty good. Somebody asks you what it tastes like, and you reply 'It gets in your mouth'. Never heard that anywhere else but in Sheffield.

A common term used in Sheffield in the old days was to refer to someone as a

'Useless Get' .

This was from the name of the header on steel ingots that were full of slag which was cut off and scrapped.

Another word in common use was 'Crozzle' the word was used to describe anything that was burnt in cooking such as 'crozzled bacon'.

Crozzle was the name given to the pieces of black steel slag that was used to top the old stone walls in Sheffield.

You can still see renmants of these in several areas of sheffield.

Happy Days!

PS. This subject seems to appear annually on this forum but I still find the subject very interesting.

A common term used in Sheffield in the old days was to refer to someone as a

'Useless Get' .

This was from the name of the header on steel ingots that were full of slag which was cut off and scrapped.

Another word in common use was 'Crozzle' the word was used to describe anything that was burnt in cooking such as 'crozzled bacon'.

Crozzle was the name given to the pieces of black steel slag that was used to top the old stone walls in Sheffield.

You can still see renmants of these in several areas of sheffield.

Happy Days!

PS. This subject seems to appear annually on this forum but I still find the subject very interesting.

re "crozzle":-

my late mother would not eat her bacon any other way than "crozzled". Almost charred to within an inch of its life, it was. I have to admit that, as a vegetarian, it's about the only thing meat-based I really miss; a nice sandwich of crozzled bacon.

PT

I'd forgotten completely about the 'crozzle'. Used to get some cut knees on that stuff, I'm glad to hear there's some left. The term 'useless get' seems to have been appropriated all over the country now, and modified to 'git' here in the South.

A couple of sayings I've not heard for yonks is,' He'll stand fo drop o York' meaning he'll put up with anything.

Another one was,'Gee it some Poll Thompson' meaning hammer it harder

Does anybody know the origins of these two sayings

Happy Days!

A couple of sayings I've not heard for yonks is,' He'll stand fo drop o York' meaning he'll put up with anything.

Another one was,'Gee it some Poll Thompson' meaning hammer it harder

Does anybody know the origins of these two sayings

Happy Days!

Never heard “He'll stand fo drop o York” before.

But we used to say, “Gee it some wellie”