Local dialect of sheffield

A couple of sayings I've not heard for yonks is,' He'll stand fo drop o York' meaning he'll put up with anything.

Another one was,'Gee it some Poll Thompson' meaning hammer it harder

Does anybody know the origins of these two sayings

Happy Days!

I remember Stand for the drop o York

Maybe there was a time when hanging was only carried out at York. Hence 'the drop'

I don't know if this is a Sheffield colloquialism, but my mother when talking of family member's' i.e. Son's ,daughter's cousin's, nephew's ,niece's brother etc would refer to them as "Arr Sylvia "or "Arr Clifford".

It is hard to get the correct sounds of the Sheffield 'our' in type

I don't know if this is a Sheffield colloquialism, but my mother when talking of family member's' i.e. Son's ,daughter's cousin's, nephew's ,niece's brother etc would refer to them as "Arr Sylvia "or "Arr Clifford".

It is hard to get the correct sounds of the Sheffield 'our' in type

I wouldn’t say “Arr” as in “Arr mam” or Arr dad” was indigenous only to Sheffield, but certainly Yorkshire.

Laking is from a viking verb meaning to play. I think the Swedish verb "to play" is something very similar. Nobody in Sheffield would use the term in my experience, just interlopers from Barnsley.

My Dad used to threaten some "Paul Thompson" . I understood that Mr Thompson was a wrestler. He also used to threaten "Al mek third man".

"Weerz tha gooin?"... "Rarnd lump".. universal in Sheffield I reckon.

The best running joke I ever had with this daft language was with a Physics teacher at school who wanted some oil for his coil.

Laking is from a viking verb meaning to play. I think the Swedish verb "to play" is something very similar. Nobody in Sheffield would use the term in my experience, just interlopers from Barnsley.

in danish, the toy, lego is from the same verb/root, to play.

My Dad used to threaten"Al mek third man".

my mother often used that phrase, when my sister and I squabbled.

PT

Mum used to say "If tha dunt stop mithering tha'll ger a reight clout"

Having got the said clout she then added "Go on ruwer tha'll pee less"

I can see her now slipper in hand ready to throw if I answered back - God bless her.

what good words for money

£1 quid nika

10 shilling 10 bob

2/6d half crown

2 shilling 2 bob or florin

6d sixpence tanner as in tanner hop on wordsworth ave

half penny apeney as in 4 black jacks for a apeney