Which Tv Programmes Do You Switch Off ?

pattricia

1 hour ago, Mr Fisk said:

Thats exactly my point Presley. 

Well said.

No good clean family fun shows or programmes exist anymore.

Yes they do.

The big difference now is its shown on multiple different channels on multiple different platforms.

The way that people consume media goes well beyond three channels offering a fixed schedule. That applies to the talent as well.

There are some brilliant actors, writers, producers making original content going direct to the Sky TV platform or Netflix or Amazon or Hulu.

For other people YouTube has become a full-time lucrative career which goes well beyond producing grainy webcam blogs from their bedrooms. There are now entire big budget big crew productions being made and uploaded which attracts more viewers than some of the ye olde television could only dream of.

The world evolves and it's all too easy to bring a personal taste into arguments that talent and quality no longer exists. Far too many wearing rose tinted glasses.

Take a good look at some of that so called classic clean family fun comedy and light entertainment from the "glory days". Watch it carefully with modern day eyes. Revel in the unsophisticated tackiness of it, embrace the casual sexism and racism and homophobia and lazy stereotyping.

Was some of it really this great fantastic, timeless, superior entertainment??   Or was it just that people had nothing else to watch.

If you want a quick synopsis of how the world has changed let me put it this way. According to a certain online encyclopaedia, the most watched programme of 1978 was Sale of the Century. By 1990 the most watched programme was Neighbours. In both 2009 and 2010 Simon Cowell's  reality shows hit the most watch spot and in the final two recorded years for 2019 the resurrection of Gavin and Stacey hit it with finally this year's recorded most watched programme not even been any sort of entertainment, it was the p.m. statement on easing of covid lockdown.

If that sort of sample doesn't show that more and more people are finding their entertainment elsewhere from traditional telly I don't know what is.

Edited by ECCOnoob

33 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes they do.

The big difference now is its shown on multiple different channels on multiple different platforms.

The way that people consume media goes way beyond three channels offering a fixed schedule. That applies to the talent as well.

There are some brilliant actors, writers, producers making original content going direct to the Sky TV platform or Netflix or Amazon or Hulu.

For other people YouTube has become a full-time lucrative career which goes well beyond producing grainy webcam blogs from their bedrooms. There are now entire big budget big crew productions being made and uploaded which attracts more viewers than some of the ye olde television could only dream of.

The world evolves and it's all too easy to bring a personal taste into arguments that talent and quality no longer exists. Far too many wearing rose tinted glasses.

Take a good look at some of that so called classic clean family fun comedy and light entertainment from the "glory days". Watch it carefully with modern day eyes. Revel in the unsophisticated tackiness of it, embrace the casual sexism and racism and homophobia and lazy stereotyping.

Was some of it really this great fantastic, timeless, superior entertainment??   Or was it just that people had nothing else to watch.

Yes, it really was fantastic, timeless, superior entertainment and the American comics were just as good. Danny Kaye, Bob Hope and Jackie Mason. The nearest Englishman to them was Bob Monkhouse.

3 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Yes, it really was fantastic, timeless, superior entertainment and the American comics were just as good. Danny Kaye, Bob Hope and Jackie Mason. The nearest Englishman to them was Bob Monkhouse.

I liked Arthur Askey.

On 06/11/2020 at 09:21, Mr Fisk said:

Any reality show.

It's a shame the likes off BBC and ITV now rely on such tv shows.

Go back 30 odd years and you had great talent, writers, broadcasters,  actors, comedians.

There is very little talent today- the feelgood factor has gone and we are now left watching idiots.

Reality TV is just cheap telly,   shows like Neighbours from Hell, traffic cops ect, no script writers to pay, no actors to pay ect as for rubbish like the Only Way is Essex, they are making millionares out of poeople who can't even string a sentence together, I don't believe that Joey Essex is as that thick, and already Millionares,  the Made in Chelsea lot, they are making that bunch of Toffs Billionares.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes they do.

The way that people consume media goes well beyond three channels offering a fixed schedule. That applies to the talent as well.

If you want a quick synopsis of how the world has changed let me put it this way. According to a certain online encyclopaedia, the most watched programme of 1978 was Sale of the Century. By 1990 the most watched programme was Neighbours. In both 2009 and 2010 Simon Cowell's  reality shows hit the most watch spot and in the final two recorded years for 2019 the resurrection of Gavin and Stacey hit it with finally this year's recorded most watched programme not even been any sort of entertainment, it was the p.m. statement on easing of covid lockdown.

If that sort of sample doesn't show that more and more people are finding their entertainment elsewhere from traditional telly I don't know what is.

Every man to his own, IMO, telly years ago was better than telly today. You will never agree with that because you didn't grow up watching it at the time Im on about,  Reality and Lack of Talent exist in a big way today.  Norman Wisdom, Laurel and Hardy and such like made me laugh out loud and its not looking back with rose spectackled glasse as you stated,   its what people like me liked and enjoyed, not smut and being dirty to get cheap laughs thats easy to get liked minded people to laugh, it takes  skill and hard work to produce plain and simple comedy which is where the talent lays thats why todays lot can't manage that. :roll:

19 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Reality TV is just cheap telly,   shows like Neighbours from Hell, traffic cops ect, no script writers to pay, no actors to pay ect as for rubbish like the Only Way is Essex, they are making millionares out of poeople who can't even string a sentence together, I don't believe that Joey Essex is as that thick, and already Millionares,  the Made in Chelsea lot, they are making that bunch of Toffs Billionares.

Reality tv, full of gay bi, etc,  z list personalities (?) getting their 6 months of fame

30 minutes ago, pintor said:

Reality tv, full of gay bi, etc,  z list personalities (?) getting their 6 months of fame

Well compared to the some of the racist, misogynistic, homophobic, paedos who lingered on the networks back in the day... I know which one I would prefer.