Which Tv Programmes Do You Switch Off ?

pattricia

Always interesting, this topic. Was TV better "back then"? I would have to say no. Some of it was shockingly bad. 'Love Thy Neighbour',  'Double Your Money', 'Coronation Street', 'Bless This House', 'Sale Of The Century', anything with Benny Hill, 'Some Mothers Do Have 'Em', 'Mind Your Language' etc etc... Corny at best, downright insulting at worst.

Some should never have seen the light of day, yet prospered. Why? Because choice was so limited. Even one of my favourites from that era, 'It Ain't 'Alf Hot Mum', was scattered with 'poof' jokes and systemic bullying. 'Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width' and 'Oh Brother'/'Oh Father' couldn't have existed without religious jokes.  They'd never make it past the planning stage today. Quite rightly in some cases.

That leads to the biggest problem there is for today's writers; what can you make fun of? The old standby; relationships. But even so you have to be sure to get the tick-list in of gays, ethnic diversity, powerful women blah blah blah.  Writing ANYTHING for tv today is a minefield. It had to be so much easier back then.

I have nothing but admiration for the talent breaking through today. They really have to jump through hoops. But more importantly I'm so grateful to live in an age where we have access to a multitude of variation; Sky, NETFLIX, Amazon Prime, streaming, You Tube and the rest, not just Auntie Beeb and ITV. Yes, there's a lot of dross to wade through, but reading the advance press and reviews you can easily make an informed decision if there's something that might interest you. Thank God for all the various 'watch again' options. I can decide NOT to watch Norman bloody Wisdom.

Edited by wearysmith

56 minutes ago, abbeyedges said:

On the comedy front I enjoy watching the Royle Family.

1 hour ago, wearysmith said:

Always interesting, this topic. Was TV better "back then"? I would have to say no. Some of it was shockingly bad. 'Love Thy Neighbour',  'Double Your Money', 'Coronation Street', 'Bless This House', 'Sale Of The Century', anything with Benny Hill, 'Some Mothers Do Have 'Em', 'Mind Your Language' etc etc... Corny at best, downright insulting at worst.

Some should never have seen the light of day, yet prospered. Why? Because choice was so limited. Even one of my favourites from that era, 'It Ain't 'Alf Hot Mum', was scattered with 'poof' jokes and systemic bullying. 'Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width' and 'Oh Brother'/'Oh Father' couldn't have existed without religious jokes.  They'd never make it past the planning stage today. Quite rightly in some cases.

That leads to the biggest problem there is for today's writers; what can you make fun of? The old standby; relationships. But even so you have to be sure to get the tick-list in of gays, ethnic diversity, powerful women blah blah blah.  Writing ANYTHING for tv today is a minefield. It had to be so much easier back then.

I have nothing but admiration for the talent breaking through today. They really have to jump through hoops. But more importantly I'm so grateful to live in an age where we have access to a multitude of variation; Sky, NETFLIX, Amazon Prime, streaming, You Tube and the rest, not just Auntie Beeb and ITV. Yes, there's a lot of dross to wade through, but reading the advance press and reviews you can easily make an informed decision if there's something that might interest you. Thank God for all the various 'watch again' options. I can decide NOT to watch Norman bloody Wisdom.

Everybody to their own,  I'll have plenty of that!  be a strange world if we all like the same things on TV  or like the  same food or dressed the same,( job uniformity exempt)  as you Know people on the forum  are giving their opions on there likes dislikes ect,  but I will not stand for anyone Dissing NORMAN!  only kidding.  :hihi:

56 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Everybody to their own,  I'll have plenty of that!  be a strange world if we all like the same things on TV  or like the  same food or dressed the same,( job uniformity exempt)  as you Know people on the forum  are giving their opions on there likes dislikes ect,  but I will not stand for anyone Dissing NORMAN!  only kidding.  :hihi:

Yes, each to their own. As you can guess I prefer the stand up, sharp wit of the American comedians. But of course “ It ain’t half hot mom” was hilarious. Especially to anyone watching who had served in the forces.

2 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Yes, each to their own. As you can guess I prefer the stand up, sharp wit of the American comedians. But of course “ It ain’t half hot mom” was hilarious. Especially to anyone watching who had served in the forces.

Some people  are born to play certain parts,  This was certainly the case for Windsor Davies,  "what is you doing ladi da Gunner Graham! " :hihi::hihi:

21 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Some people  are born to play certain parts,  This was certainly the case for Windsor Davies,  "what is you doing ladi da Gunner Graham! " :hihi::hihi:

Yes, hilarious ! The woman living next door to me had served in the forces and I could hear her laughing her head off, every time it was on.

7 minutes ago, Rollypolly said:

Not the programme as such as I've never watched it but Emma Willis drives me mad when she advertises The Voice Finals twenny twenny. Why can't she just say  twenTy twenTy like any normal person? I turn the sound down as soon as I see it coming on now. 😡

I’m surprised as she usually has a good clear voice. The worst one is Alex Jones on The One Show. She’s Welsh so misses the” g “ off the end of words. Like : comin, shoutin, starin, blockin, etc; She really gets on my nerves.

On 07/11/2020 at 17:42, wearysmith said:

"Sing Lofty....".   RIP Don & Windsor. Much missed.

Don Estelle had a beautiful voice.

On 13/11/2020 at 23:57, Rollypolly said:

Not the programme as such as I've never watched it but Emma Willis drives me mad when she advertises The Voice Finals twenny twenny. Why can't she just say  twenTy twenTy like any normal person? I turn the sound down as soon as I see it coming on now. 😡

That really annoys me too.     :gag: