Sheffield United V Relegation

Box11

3 hours ago, Grappler said:

I just said that the three teams relegated last season are not having too many problems in the Championship.  I watch EFL on Quest most weekends and the quality in the Championship is very poor, outside the top 6,  I would have no fear dropping down with a couple of hundred million in parachute payments and going straight back up.

Like a premier league 2,through the back door.

Parry and a host of champs clubs want a more level competition, to stop the spiralling debt among those trying to narrow the gap

4 hours ago, Grappler said:

No sour grapes from me pal, the facts don't lie, we are in trouble.

I just said that the three teams relegated last season are not having too many problems in the Championship.  I watch EFL on Quest most weekends and the quality in the Championship is very poor, outside the top 6,  I would have no fear dropping down with a couple of hundred million in parachute payments and going straight back up.

Wednesday's main problem is the man at the top, off-field stuff, the team should have no problem finishing 4th from bottom and escaping the drop.

You might be needing those parachute payments to pay your big hitters on £40k a week.

It won’t be easy to find takers for some of the players you’ve signed for inflated fees. That’s what does for a lot of clubs when they drop out of the premier league. Ask Stoke, Reading or Watford. 

11 hours ago, Padders said:

Can't agree,

They have been playing like that for most of the season, and not won a game..

If they win 4 games on the trot "which would be a miracle" they would still be bottom, assuming teams above them keep picking up points.

Relegation now a certainty.

I agree that we've been playing reasonably well all season & if the odd chance had gone in, in normal circumstances, we'd be above the relegation zone but I'm not about to give up on them with roughly 2/3 still remaining.  That is total defeatist talk. 

But we do have to start to get results & we should be looking at starting tomorrow.  If you look at the Blades fixtures, by mid February, we'll have played all those again just above us in the table, so we do have a chance to change our position but we do need to win these games, any other  points from now until then would be a bonus.  We've certainly got to start to put a run together. 

There is still a chance.  Just because it's not been done before from this position doesn't mean it can't be done. If one takes a negative attitude now, with so many games left, you might as well give up from tonight. 

If we're still rock bottom by the time we play Fulham, 12 games from now in February, I MIGHT start to think we should be preparing for the drop.  Where there's hope, there's life. 

Edited by Baron99

10 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I agree that we've been playing reasonably well all season & if the odd chance had gone in, in normal circumstances, we'd be above the relegation zone but I'm not about to give up on them with roughly 2/3 still remaining.  That is total defeatist talk. 

But we do have to start to get results & we should be looking at starting tomorrow.  If you look at the Blades fixtures, by mid February, we'll have played all those again just above us in the table, so we do have a chance to change our position but we do need to win these games, any other  points from now until then would be a bonus. 

There is still a chance.  Just because it's not been done before from this position doesn't mean it can't be done. If one takes a negative attitude now, with so many games left, you might as well give up from tonight. 

If we're still rock bottom by the time we play Fulham, 12 games from now in February, I MIGHT start to think we should be preparing for the drop.  Where there's hope, there's life. 

With all due respect Baron, that should have been posted in Syrups Joke Thread :hihi:.

12-1 to get the lowest points total in the Prem.

Dip your bread.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

It is generally accepted that you need 40 points to avoid relegation from the premier league.

At United’s current rate of point accrual, that will take 520 games. Or almost 14 seasons. So you should be safe by late 2034.

10 hours ago, Pettytom said:

It is generally accepted that you need 40 points to avoid relegation from the premier league.

At United’s current rate of point accrual, that will take 520 games. Or almost 14 seasons. So you should be safe by late 2034.

🤣 That made me giggle Tom.

Just seen the game on MOTD 2....

Lundstram's sending off was deserved....

But I can't understand why any manager worth their salt would play a player who wants to leave...

Watching the replay of the foul Lundstram had nothing but malicious intent....

As I have said before Sheffield United have serious problems that need ironing out....

On 19/12/2020 at 21:43, Pettytom said:

You might be needing those parachute payments to pay your big hitters on £40k a week.

It won’t be easy to find takers for some of the players you’ve signed for inflated fees. That’s what does for a lot of clubs when they drop out of the premier league. Ask Stoke, Reading or Watford. 

That's what the parachute payments are for, to pay the salaries for a few years of the players you have signed.

I think the showing in the last match solved a few selection dilemmas for the manager ahead of the match against Everton:

• should I play Lundstram?  No - he's suspended
  • is Fleck back to match fitness? No
  • where should I play our best player Berge? Nowhere as he's out for 3 months

Others remain of course:

• with JOB and KB out injured, who plays on the left side of defence, at CB and WB?  Stevens, Robinson, Ampadu. Jags, Osborn and the youngster we got from Derby are the candidates
  • who will play midfield?  Ampadu, Norwood, Bogle and Osborn would seem to be the options, unless the manager decided to be brave and play McGoldrick just behind a front 2

I just hope McBernie is fit as we' could use his height and strength at both ends of the pitch against their big guys.