Sheffield United V Relegation

Box11

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I think the showing in the last match solved a few selection dilemmas for the manager ahead of the match against Everton:

• should I play Lundstram?  No - he's suspended
  • is Fleck back to match fitness? No
  • where should I play our best player Berge? Nowhere as he's out for 3 months

Others remain of course:

• with JOB and KB out injured, who plays on the left side of defence, at CB and WB?  Stevens, Robinson, Ampadu. Jags, Osborn and the youngster we got from Derby are the candidates
  • who will play midfield?  Ampadu, Norwood, Bogle and Osborn would seem to be the options, unless the manager decided to be brave and play McGoldrick just behind a front 2

I just hope McBernie is fit as we' could use his height and strength at both ends of the pitch against their big guys.

I've seen nothing from Berge to suggest he's anywhere near your best player, lightweight and ineffective.

8 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I think the showing in the last match solved a few selection dilemmas for the manager ahead of the match against Everton:

• should I play Lundstram?  No - he's suspended
  • is Fleck back to match fitness? No
  • where should I play our best player Berge? Nowhere as he's out for 3 months

Others remain of course:

• with JOB and KB out injured, who plays on the left side of defence, at CB and WB?  Stevens, Robinson, Ampadu. Jags, Osborn and the youngster we got from Derby are the candidates
  • who will play midfield?  Ampadu, Norwood, Bogle and Osborn would seem to be the options, unless the manager decided to be brave and play McGoldrick just behind a front 2

I just hope McBernie is fit as we' could use his height and strength at both ends of the pitch against their big guys.

I agree with all you have said, thats more like a winning team to me UTB

On 20/12/2020 at 23:29, Box11 said:

Just seen the game on MOTD 2....

Lundstram's sending off was deserved....

But I can't understand why any manager worth their salt would play a player who wants to leave...

Watching the replay of the foul Lundstram had nothing but malicious intent....

As I have said before Sheffield United have serious problems that need ironing out....

There was no malicious intent in that tackle, Lundstram put's a good shift in all the time, the table tells us of their problems.

Load of nonsense being aired on RS tonight about Lundstram's tackle.  Roy Keane thought it was red.  Enough said!

Also, some callers don't appear to know the rules regarding corner kicks and penalty kicks...some part of the ball needs to be TOUCHING, the edge of the line.  Marginal, yes, but within the laws.

Edited by steved32

3 hours ago, steved32 said:

Also, some callers don't appear to know the rules regarding corner kicks and penalty kicks...some part of the ball needs to be TOUCHING, the edge of the line.  Marginal, yes, but within the laws.

I have to disagree with the wording you use here.  "Touching" means physical contact, and that is not the case here, as there is no mention of that in the rules. 

For corners and penalties, the Laws state:

Law 17 - the corner            "The ball must be placed in the corner area"

Law 14 - the Penalty          "The ball must be stationary on the penalty mark", and "When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, or in line with, the goal line".

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/laws-of-the-game/2020-21/laws-of-the-game-2020-21.ashx

If you think about the ball being out of play if the whole of the ball has crossed the line, that includes when the ball is in the air (e.g. when a corner kick bends out of play then comes back into play).  Similarly when the whole of the ball has crossed the line for a goal.  The "line" is taken as being crossed if it is crossing directly above the line.  Using the above would lead to a valid position for a corner or penalty being if part of the ball was directly over the line in question.

Incidentally, if the part about the goalkeeper's position seems strange, I found  this clarification from The International Football Association Board very helpful:

"The skill of kicking and netting football penalties allows the kicker to make a 'stutter' in the run up. Thus, it is not unreasonable to allow a goalkeeper to take one step in anticipation of the shot".

https://www.theukrules.co.uk/news/sports-and-leisure/new-fifa-football-rules-2019.html

11 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I have to disagree with the wording you use here.  "Touching" means physical contact, and that is not the case here, as there is no mention of that in the rules. 

For corners and penalties, the Laws state:

Law 17 - the corner            "The ball must be placed in the corner area"

Law 14 - the Penalty          "The ball must be stationary on the penalty mark", and "When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, or in line with, the goal line".

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/laws-of-the-game/2020-21/laws-of-the-game-2020-21.ashx

If you think about the ball being out of play if the whole of the ball has crossed the line, that includes when the ball is in the air (e.g. when a corner kick bends out of play then comes back into play).  Similarly when the whole of the ball has crossed the line for a goal.  The "line" is taken as being crossed if it is crossing directly above the line.  Using the above would lead to a valid position for a corner or penalty being if part of the ball was directly over the line in question.

Incidentally, if the part about the goalkeeper's position seems strange, I found  this clarification from The International Football Association Board very helpful:

"The skill of kicking and netting football penalties allows the kicker to make a 'stutter' in the run up. Thus, it is not unreasonable to allow a goalkeeper to take one step in anticipation of the shot".

https://www.theukrules.co.uk/news/sports-and-leisure/new-fifa-football-rules-2019.html

But "the line" is classed as being part of the defined area.  Therefore, the corner quadrant arc being adjacent to part of the ball is classed as a legal placement.  Referees look at it closely and deem it legal.

Petty, but correct.

On 22/12/2020 at 13:57, Alextopman said:

There was no malicious intent in that tackle, Lundstram put's a good shift in all the time, the table tells us of their problems.

Whether or not there was malicious intent it was a red card, top and bottom of it is you cannot go in like that these days. Football has changed, can you imagine hard tackling players like  Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith playing today, I bet they wouldn't have lasted till half time before being sent off. 

Edited by iansheff

2 hours ago, Box11 said:

I'm not going to respond to that...

Thans for telling me that.😀.

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

Whether or not there was malicious intent it was a red card, top and bottom of it is you cannot go in like that these days. Football has changed, can you imagine hard tackling players like  Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith playing today, I bet they wouldn't have lasted till half time before being sent off. 

I don't think it deserved a red card but agree with you about past players not staying on the playing surface long in todays game.

4 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Thanks for telling me that.😀.

19 hours ago, iansheff said:

I see CW is still insisting that the tackle didn't merit a red card, and he is still encouraging his players to "get stuck in."

I fear he's not moved on.  If no less a hard man than Roy Keane adjudged Lundstram's tackle to be a red card, then we have to listen.

Blades' tactics being rumbled + CW's resorting to "get stuck in" is the final death knell.