Sheffield Man - J G Graves

I believe The mail order depot was a green painted building just below the Childrens Hospital, I'm sure it was still there in the fifties.

Didn't they make radio's during the war on the site of the Tapton Halls of Residence ?

Let's not forget all the Graves Trust houses built for the needy and elderly.

Thanks for the replies,and im pleased to hear people know who he is.

The reason of me putting this up here,was because im sick of going around Sheffield and mentioning him appropriately,and them not have the foggiest who he is.

And on the mention of Samuel Holberry,i went to his grave the other day,and the man who lives in the General Cemetery took us to it,and said that hes written many a times to the Labour Party and Government etc about his grave,asking if they are willing to pay for it to get cleaned up,seen as his gravestone is tipping over. And they dont want to know..

What a shame

I believe that we have a ' Holberry Group or Society ' in Sheffield. To a recognised organisation, lottery funding assistance could be applied for to do jobs like this.

I believe a William ( Bill) Moore? who lived or lives in Lady Spring Court, near to Dore Railway Station was the secretary of a Holberry Group. ( Any more idea's? )

I have to say that I'm ashamed of the way sheffield has thrown away its history, anyone ever heard of this guy?

On 11 August 1917 south of Langemarck, Belgium, during the attack on a strongly held enemy position and his platoon having been held up by heavy machine-gun fire, Private Loosemore crawled through partially cut wire, dragging his Lewis gun with him and single-handed dealt with a strong party of the enemy, killing about 20 of them. Immediately afterwards his Lewis gun was destroyed and three of the enemy rushed at him, but he shot them with his revolver. Later he shot several enemy snipers, and on returning to the original post he brought back a wounded comrade under heavy fire.

Or how about the guy who invented the Plimsole Line?

I have to say that I'm ashamed of the way sheffield has thrown away its history, anyone ever heard of this guy?

On 11 August 1917 south of Langemarck, Belgium, during the attack on a strongly held enemy position and his platoon having been held up by heavy machine-gun fire, Private Loosemore crawled through partially cut wire, dragging his Lewis gun with him and single-handed dealt with a strong party of the enemy, killing about 20 of them. Immediately afterwards his Lewis gun was destroyed and three of the enemy rushed at him, but he shot them with his revolver. Later he shot several enemy snipers, and on returning to the original post he brought back a wounded comrade under heavy fire.

Or how about the guy who invented the Plimsole Line?

Was he was decorated with a V.C. for this?

Hope this helps;

The Holberry Society, commemorating Samuel Holberry of Sheffield. Secretary: Bill Moore, Sheffield 0114 2367642

If not what's the costing on works needed?

It is a few years ago since I spoke to Bill Moore but during our last conversation I feel sure that he mentioned someone or himself writing a bit about ' Holberry '.

Is their a plaque on or near Paradise Square in the centre of sheffield?

He did indeed get the VC for one of the most remarkable acts of heroism ever recorded.

As to the Holberry Society its been a long time since I had any contact but I know that John Baxter the society secretary (last name eludes me at the moment) was putting something together.

Sirname added when fog cleared

If you had searched on here, you would have seen that within the last few days, we have had a thread about JG Graves, and how his benefaction helped this city...

Mentioning Graves park, and I think *I* suggested that Millhouses park, too, was one of his bequests to this fine city.

So, no, he "ain't" forgot!

the "Who's he?" response from the staff at the TH might have been them thinking you were asking for a member of staff...?????

PT

Apparently not Millhouses Park. Some one corrected me on that And I've forgotten who they were.

He did put £10,000 into the £24,000 to purchase Eccelsall Woods and bought Beauchief Gardens also.

I've never found out if he bought the land that now is Beauchief Golf Course or the Woodland which skirts the perimeter.

Archived