Sheffield Man - J G Graves

He did put £10,000 into the £24,000 to purchase Eccelsall Woods and bought Beauchief Gardens also.

I read that he bought and set up the Little Garden and seating in Balm Green, because he didn't want the building line to obscure the views of the new city hall.

Hope this helps;

The Holberry Society, commemorating Samuel Holberry of Sheffield. Secretary: Bill Moore, Sheffield 0114 2367642

If not what's the costing on works needed?

Apologies if I am wrong, but isn't that the Bill Moore who died last year (obituary in The Guardian)

A conference (in Salford) was devoted to Bill Moore's work in 2005 (link

fifth item on page)

Hugh

Apparently not Millhouses Park. Some one corrected me on that And I've forgotten who they were.

Afraid it was me Albert :) Earl Fitzwilliam donated about half the land for the park...approximately the area from the Waggon and Horses down to Archer road. This comprised the lands attached to Ecclesall Mill.

The other half of the park was bought by the council, - this was the land belonging to Bartin Wheel which was owned by the Bright family for some while but I don't know who owned it when the council bought it.

It was all Abbey land originally and granted to Sir Nicholas Strelley at the dissolution, as indeed was the land now occupied by the Beauchief golf course.

Afraid it was me Albert :) Earl Fitzwilliam donated about half the land for the park...approximately the area from the Waggon and Horses down to Archer road. This comprised the lands attached to Ecclesall Mill.

The other half of the park was bought by the council, - this was the land belonging to Bartin Wheel which was owned by the Bright family for some while but I don't know who owned it when the council bought it.

It was all Abbey land originally and granted to Sir Nicholas Strelley at the dissolution, as indeed was the land now occupied by the Beauchief golf course.

Thank you ' Greybeard '. Probably a mistake can be made by the section refering to, ' Land attached to Ecclesall Mill '. That Ecclesall Mill must have been the one adjecent to Archer Road. ( Behind to former Police Station ). Not the saw mill in Ecclesall Woods off Abbey Lane.

I believe Graves bought Hutcliffe Wood which is behind the length of the River Sheaf and railway next to Millhouses Park.

Many Sheffielders have heard of Graves, who was a very important figure in local history. Graves and men of status like him have gone down in history, remembered by the names of parks, plaques, buildings etc.

There are quite a few Sheffielders who were important and memorable in their own way, who have not been remembered in the way of Graves. I would suggest there is more popular awareness of the likes of Graves et al, than Samuel Holberry and a few others I can think of (although, not meaning to diminish the naming of the peace garden fountains).

Samuel Holberry's grave was said to be in disrepair, how do we remedy this?

Since nothing has been posted and I can't even find a contact for the Holberry Society how can we get this done?

I'd like someone involved to get me a costing on the works needed?

Thanks for the replies,and im pleased to hear people know who he is.

The reason of me putting this up here,was because im sick of going around Sheffield and mentioning him appropriately,and them not have the foggiest who he is.

And on the mention of Samuel Holberry,i went to his grave the other day,and the man who lives in the General Cemetery took us to it,and said that hes written many a times to the Labour Party and Government etc about his grave,asking if they are willing to pay for it to get cleaned up,seen as his gravestone is tipping over. And they dont want to know..

What a shame

Please post a contact for the guy you are talking about, I care and will do something about it.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I own F.G.Thomas at 25 Surrey st and was doing some research to find out when F.G.Thomas was first located on Surrey St.

I found that a J.G.Graves was located at 25 Surrey st in 1891 and was listed as a watch repairer.

Could this have been the same J.G.Graves you are talking about.

Gary

Archived