Sheffield Man - J G Graves

Samuel Plimsol was born in Bristol, he stood for Sheffield Central 1855, I have one of the Plimsol Medals chucking about somewhere.

There was a pub on the Hyde Park Flats, (on the block that was refurbed in red, the "northern counties block) that was named for him, "The Samuel Plimsoll"

At one time the business was run from what is now called Cambridge House the old Sheffield Water Company offices on the corner of Division street and Holly street.

There s a photo in one of my Sheffield books, I think taken in the 1920s, of the building in use by Graves and with a host of horse drawn GPO vans lined up waiting to collect the mail.

At different times the firm had branches in various parts of the city; the 1925 directory mentions Durham Road, Gell Street and St Mary’s Road. John G. Graves himself lived at "Riverdale" in Riverdale Road.

A good rummage in my "archives" has produced two articles of March 1901 from "The Sphere" and "The King" - see below for scans of parts of these.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Gravesarticle2.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Gravesarticle.jpg

Interesting cuttings there hillsbro. Were 'The Sphere' and 'The King' local publications ?

"The Sphere" was a national illustrated magazine published in London, and I think "The King" was also - the other side of the page from "The King" reports on the funeral of the composer Giuseppe Verdi. I imagine that these journals were precursors of "Picture Post" etc., in a similar vein to the "Illustrated London News".

• 4 months later...

Albert, will you remind me please where JG Graves was born. I saw you post it up but can't find it now, I know it was Lincolnshire but I need to know the village. Thanks.

Some relatives in Australia sent me this letter written by my grandfather in 1931, he was chauffeur to JG Graves.

"As you know I am working at Riverdale, have been for years now. I am sure you will remember the happy times you used to have when you worked at Sugworth and used to come down with the dray on Fridays with butter, eggs, hay etc. Well the house and stablings are just the same but we don’t keep any horses it is all motors, I have three to look after it finds me plenty of work but my master (Ald J.G. Graves) is very considerate. They went away on the 12th last Thursday to Italy for a month so it is giving me chance to overhaul the cars while they are away.

Your loving brother,"

A few years ago the Graves Trust had a booklet published which told the story of JGG and the Trust he set up. I feel sure that copies of this will be available in the Central Library or the Local Studies dept.

Thank you Redfyre, it is just that I saw Albert had mentioned his birthplace on the forum and as my family were from Lincolnshire the same as he was I wondered if there was a family connection especially as two members of my family worked for him, and later for his daughter as housekeeper.

This is a shot of my late Grandfather's pocket watch hallmark date Chester 1900, the 'J G Graves Express English Lever' watches are sold regularly on E Bay.

2rxd8i0.jpg

I also remember as a child J G Graves department store near the unviversity.

The park is a great reminder and after all the publicity about St.Lukes wanting to build on land here I am sure most people of Sheffield know who he was.Also there are the homes near to the park with the plaque with his name on.On the subject of famous sheffielders what about "Harry Wright" and his brother George.Harry being the man who made Baseball big in America and his brother both being 2 of the first 9 and some of the Greatest players in the game . :clap::wave:

• 2 years later...

I first became aware of J G Graves in the 1970s when i was interested in collecting pocket watches, there were many J G Graves pocket watches on the market at the time. Often foreign movements with cylinder escapements as I recall. The British Horological Journal did an article on Graves some years ago, the history of the company and a famous dispute with the post office! More recently I became interested in vintage technology and bought 2 early wireless sets, both were made or retailed by Graves, and "Aerial" crystal set dating from the mid 20s and a 2 valve battery set dating from about 1928. I believe Graves used to supply goods to the colonies by mail order, customers could pay by installments!

Archived