Moving To Sheffield Need Help

Nka

Hi I want to buy a house in Sheffield with good schools catchment for both primary and secondary 

I have viewed property in S20 Mosborough-Rose hill view and few more around that area 

Not very sure which are preferred postcode for a family with school needs 

kind regards

Depends on what you're really after.

Personally speaking, I've found Rotherham to be much cheaper to buy and live, yet some areas are closer to Sheffield city centre than out laying areas of Sheffield. Maybe have a look around Aston/Swallownest, Catcliffe, Waverley and Treeton (all in Rotherham, but much cheaper for the average house and council tax etc.) for instance compared with neighbouring areas in Sheffield of Handsworth/Woodhouse Mill and Beighton for comparison.

Daughter's at Mosborough. Her 2 nippers are both under 5 and the places my grandkids go to school are lovely and have very supportive staff.

Added attraction of that area is you're very close to some beautiful countryside for your children; Ridgeway, Ford, Rother Valley park etc.

That said, wherever you live in Sheffield, Crosspool, Gleadless, Hunters Bar, Hillsborough..... you're never more than a 15 minute drive away from some lovely scenery.

BTW: I wouldn't totally discount Rotherham. While their town centre can be a bit of a ghost town, some of the villages surrounding Rotherham are quite pleasant.   

On 04/10/2020 at 19:24, Nka said:

Hi I want to buy a house in Sheffield with good schools catchment for both primary and secondary 

I have viewed property in S20 Mosborough-Rose hill view and few more around that area 

Not very sure which are preferred postcode for a family with school needs 

kind regards

My vague knowledge is that the best schools are all in the arc of the city from Crookes -> Totley. Which is why house prices are far more expensive in those areas.

Maybe would help if you tell people your budget for a house and what sort of house you want?

Thanks wearysmith and nightriderThats a positive outlook wearysmith for Sheffield.

Mu house budget 400k I am looking for a 4 bedroom detached house

Most property in dore are leasehold anyone know how to buy a lease

11 hours ago, Nka said:

Thanks wearysmith and nightriderThats a positive outlook wearysmith for Sheffield.

Your conveyancing solicitor should be able to advise on how to do that. There are a few on here who might also reply, who have experience.

12 hours ago, Nka said:

I wouldn't worry about the lease, if you know how long it is. Many of the houses in Sheffield are leashold but on very long leases (hundreds of years) that have no effect on sales going through/mortgages. 

In terms of areas, the general consensus is that if you look at Sheffield as a clock face, the nicest areas are between 6 and 10 o'clock.