Hidden Garden Endcliffe Park

8 hours ago, Paul_ said:

Including Sorby Hall, my former home, which has now sadly also been demolished 🙂

We wandered up there today and were amazed that we'd never noticed it before. So is this pond and surrounding greenery now just a 'feature' for the sole enjoyment of the occupants of the flats?

Hello Paul.

I'm glad as I am sure you are now that you took the time to find what must have been a little gem for the owners of the big house.

It is hard to decide who has the rights to the use of the pond.

Looking on Goggle maps, while you can zoom in the whole area is not covered with being able to see any of the buildings from street level.

There appears to be multiple walkways leading into the wood from the appartments and possible from the two properties on 'the Glade'.

From Goggle maps if you don't switch to 'satalite' the sorce of the stream into the pond can be seen quite easily.

So the next conundrum is where does the water go to ?

Porter Brook being the most obviouse answer, but how ?

The appartments and the roads are marked as 'Private property' 

An invite into the grounds for a look around by one of the residents would be nice.

I'm glad to have shared something we found all those years ago on this Forum .

We always thought it was part of the park because of the gate and that because of how overgrown the place was had been shut off to the public and with it being an enclosed area would have required constant patrols by the 'Parki's' .

Keep safe.

& thanks to everybody for taking the time to find out more on this little piece of Sheffield.

Sheffield Forum Rules.

Hi Rockers rule. Just a bit of extra info I found  for you.

Prior to moving to EVR  sometime after 1862, Henry Stephenson (snr) lived with his father John at Endcliffe Cres.

Endcliffe Vale Road - built between 1840/42.

No property on the Glen site - up to 1855.

Someone said it had 3 names - 1865-8 = The Grove - 1883 = Holly Bank - by 1888 The Glen - 1901 number 47 EVR 'The Glen'.

Henry Stephenson (snr) Mayor 1886 - Knighted 1886/7.     ( His son Henry Kenyon Stephenson was Mayor twice )

He died 1904 -  As frequent attenders, In 1906 Lady Emma presented St Augustin's Church  their bells and Clock in his memory.

She lived on at The Glen till her death in 1921.

The earliest sale of a flat I could find at The Glen complex was 1998.

OK  Heartshome 

9 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Rockers rule. Just a bit of extra info I found  for you.

Prior to moving to EVR  sometime after 1862, Henry Stephenson (snr) lived with his father John at Endcliffe Cres.

Endcliffe Vale Road - built between 1840/42.

No property on the Glen site - up to 1855.

Someone said it had 3 names - 1865-8 = The Grove - 1883 = Holly Bank - by 1888 The Glen - 1901 number 47 EVR 'The Glen'.

Henry Stephenson (snr) Mayor 1886 - Knighted 1886/7.     ( His son Henry Kenyon Stephenson was Mayor twice )

He died 1904 -  As frequent attenders, In 1906 Lady Emma presented St Augustin's Church  their bells and Clock in his memory.

She lived on at The Glen till her death in 1921.

The earliest sale of a flat I could find at The Glen complex was 1998.

OK  Heartshome 

Thank you Heartshome.

Doesn't seem have had much of a life span the big house.

1855 - to 1990 is only 135 even if we make it 1995 its still only 140 years.

I'm surmising because Viners were in trouble in the 1980's  and in fact went bankrupt in 1985 a decision (or bloody good offer) to sell the land was made and hence the apartments that are there now.

All interesting stuff.

I cant find when Ruben Viner died but he retired from the company in 1980 aged (aprox) 73.

Once again thank you.

5 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Thank you Heartshome.

Doesn't seem have had much of a life span the big house.

1855 - to 1990 is only 135 even if we make it 1995 its still only 140 years.

I'm surmising because Viners were in trouble in the 1980's  and in fact went bankrupt in 1985 a decision (or bloody good offer) to sell the land was made and hence the apartments that are there now.

All interesting stuff.

I cant find when Ruben Viner died but he retired from the company in 1980 aged (aprox) 73.

Once again thank you.

Hia. Seems there were 2 Ruben Viners. 

One born 1908/9 - died 1993 aged  84

The other born 1920/24 - died 2008 no age given   

Just now, Heartshome said:

Hia. Seems there were 2 Ruben Viners. 

One born 1908/9 - died 1993 aged  84

The other born 1920/24 - died 2008 no age given   

The one born 1920 ' 24 can't be the same because Ruben (of the Viners company) joined his father in the business in 1924.

Died in 1993 would make more sense reguarding when the apartments were built and 'the Glen's disappearance.

There is another entry for a Ruben Viner that states he died in 1966 which is strange because it states that he was the son of Adolphe and Emile.

I think we have it b 1908/09 d1993.

Keep up the good work Heartshome.

Rocker.

Well I can't find access from the Endcliffe Park side. There is a very high wall perched on the brink of a steep bank. No sign of any doorways either. Some of it was a high wooden fence with barbed wire on it. 

Considering it's just apparently a few trees and a duck pond, that's a lot of work to go to. 

I will check out the other side from Endcliffe Vale Rd, The Glade, and The Glen. These roads may provide a better opportunity. It's quite a maze of apartments, car parks and small access roads from Google Earth in 3d, but some of those old footpaths must come out somewhere.