Rishi Sunak Says, 'Retrain.'

I think something needs to be done for older workers who have less of a chance of being re-employed, and may well be prevented from getting help on UC. Now that the pension age has been raised to 66 they may well find themselves having to support themselves for 5, even 10 years with no job. 

What a waste of experienced, skilled people, and what a way to end a lifetime's work.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

In other news, I’ve just seen a picture of rishi and he’s about 5 foot 6. I thought he was tall.

1.7 m according to the Internet or just a knat's eyebrow under 5' 7".

Funny I thought he was about 6 ft. He must always be standing, very, very far away on my tv?   Boris is just under 5' 9".

Edited by Baron99

47 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I think something needs to be done for older workers who have less of a chance of being re-employed, and may well be prevented from getting help on UC. Now that the pension age has been raised to 66 they may well find themselves having to support themselves for 5, even 10 years with no job. 

What a waste of experienced, skilled people, and what a way to end a lifetime's work.

What evidence for that?    

If they allegedly have such prominent skills and experience that employers want they have as much opportunity as anyone else.   One could just as easily argue that younger workers have a hurdle to get jobs because they "lack experience".  It can work both ways. 

As for UC why may elders be prevented from getting help??   If a person is jobless the same criteria applies whether they are 25 or 55.   

If the concern is that elders dont get benefit because they have savings or assets built up -well unfortunately that's just tough.   I said on another thread that savings are there for spending on a rainy day.  Losing one's job is such a day.  Benefits should always be for those in genuine need not a couple with 20k in the Halifax account and a paid off £150k house.