SUT coaches

A friend of my Aunt's used to work in the office there she was called catherine Pharhe, not sure of the spelling.

Hi Aries22, Cath Fahy was the general manager (Ben Goodfellow) secretary and later to his replacement (Ron Burgin) and was stationed at the head office at Charlotte Road.

• 2 years later...

I worked at S.U.T. (National Travel) from 1977 to 1980 this was a great time to drive coaches around Sheffield and also the rest of the UK , I met many good friends during this period, sadly most have now passed on.. Some of the names I Remember at this time.. Jack Hancock, Joe Booker, Ian Hird, Harold White, Barry Nash, John Baker, Dave Hancock, Tony Pitts, Keith Wilson, Barry Furniss, Robin Littlewood, Derrick Tye and Terry Donno was the Driving Instructor, we operated many big contracts in the area including The Nurse's, British Steel, British Rail, and many of the local Colliery's plus the Football clubs Blades, Wednesday, Worksop Town, Frickley.. along with the supporters clubs of these teams.. I later became a tour driver for the company based at Weston-Super-Mare for the summers of 1978 and 1979..I left in 1980 to get married, since 1980 i have worked as a freelance driver working for around 20 coach operators across the UK and Europe.. but will never forget my time at Sheffield

I worked at S.U.T. (National Travel) from 1977 to 1980 this was a great time to drive coaches around Sheffield and also the rest of the UK , I met many good friends during this period, sadly most have now passed on.. Some of the names I Remember at this time.. Jack Hancock, Joe Booker, Ian Hird, Harold White, Barry Nash, John Baker, Dave Hancock, Tony Pitts, Keith Wilson, Barry Furniss, Robin Littlewood, Derrick Tye and Terry Donno was the Driving Instructor, we operated many big contracts in the area including The Nurse's, British Steel, British Rail, and many of the local Colliery's plus the Football clubs Blades, Wednesday, Worksop Town, Frickley.. along with the supporters clubs of these teams.. I later became a tour driver for the company based at Weston-Super-Mare for the summers of 1978 and 1979..I left in 1980 to get married, since 1980 i have worked as a freelance driver working for around 20 coach operators across the UK and Europe.. but will never forget my time at Sheffield

hi davidcole

what a blast from the past and a memory jogger I worked at sut from 1974/82

jack hancock came of tour and became garage supervisor joe booker did the same on nights.harold white .Derek tyre .alf riley were tour drivers.dave hancock and I took the first sunseeker tour to salou worked on most of the contracks you mentioned regards aj

my mate and me would catch a SUT coach to go into lincolnshire fishing,sometimes we would get it outside their office in pond street bus station on the very bottom platform if thats what you call it. or we would get one at their depot on charlotte rd bt the bus garage spent sume great sunny mornings at 6.30am waiting for a coach

• 2 months later...
When I left school in the late 50s, S U T were just about the only private coach firm in Sheffield. They took us to Belgium on a school trip in 1956, the driver was called uncle Simm by us kids, presumably that was his surname, I well remember the coach being slung aboard the ferry by a crane, this was before roll on roll off ferries. We thought it was really posh, because it had a polished wood bulkhead with a clock set in it, I believe the coaches were A E Cs.

Forgotten about that. A group of us from western. Road school went to holland and belgium with sut around 1956. do schools still do trips abroad. Perhaps not since everyone holidays abroad nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...